Menu

Next step after completing phonics primer?

I'm seeking advice on what to do next after completing our phonics primer.  We've been using OPGTR, with Progressive Phonics and Phonics Pathways as supplements.  Most days, we do the following:  (1) work on the phonics primer, (2) she reads books, and (3) for spelling and writing she alternates between Montessori based spelling, copywork, free writing, and Explode the Code.  I think that after completing the phonics primer, we work more on spelling, which also works to reinforce the phonics rules?  Would you add a formal spelling curriculum, and if so which one?  Or maybe spend more time on (2) and (3) above?  Thanks in advance.         

I would definitely finish Explode the Code workbooks as they are awesome at reinforcing the breaking down of phonetic pieces of words.  

I would begin doing Spelling as soon as you both feel up to it....but ETC does both decoding and encoding...so if you are minimalist ETC could be all of the workbooks you do this semester.

I personally love 3 spelling programs so below is my choices and why I like them.

Natural Speller is awesome and is separated by phonetic word families which is awesome to use as copywork.

Rod and Staff is a nice program that teaches rules and reinforces phonics.  It is workbook and textbook based

Spelling Power is neat because it is most commonly used words separated by phonetic sound or sight word groups.

Brenda

Congratulations on finishing your primer!

• Like 1

Multi-syllable phonics!  I keep teaching phonics, I have free syllabic phonics lessons that go to a 12th grade level, I would work through them and then do all of the multi-syllable words in the complete Webster's Speller, my program just has a few excerpts from the speller.

https://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Elizabeth for sharing your phonics program.  This is perfect for us!  She needs more practice with the multi-syllable words beyond the primers we use.  A lot of the same multi-syllable words were being repeated, and I feel like she is memorizing some of the words in the order they appeared.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AChimes said:

Thanks Elizabeth for sharing your phonics program.  This is perfect for us!  She needs more practice with the multi-syllable words beyond the primers we use.  A lot of the same multi-syllable words were being repeated, and I feel like she is memorizing some of the words in the order they appeared.  Thanks again!

You're welcome!  There are even more multi-syllable in Webster's Speller, Don has a PDF version and a book. Here is the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Websters-Spelling-Method-Teaching-Reading/dp/1496153278/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534301771&sr=8-1&keywords=noah+webster+spelling+book

And his PDF version:

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/websterspellingbookmethod.pdf

The 1879 McGuffey Readers are also good for building up phonics and reading skills.  The PDFs are free online from Gutenberg press, and you can get reprints from Amazon if you like them.  You want the ones with the blue and orange covers, not the older brown covers from 1828.  The 1879 version has a much better phonics sequence, the 1828 version are based on a type of whole word method popular at the time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I am a big fan of Explode the Code.   And Elizabeth's stuff that she linked above is all super fantastic.  That stuff really helped DD9, who was recovering from public school reading programs and really struggling, come nearly up to grade level.  I genuinely don't believe that she would have gotten there without Elizabeth's stuff.  

I love Explode the Code...all of my children have done those!

• Like 1

Thanks again Elizabeth B, and thanks acresoft, happysmileylady and homemommy83!  I have never heard of the Webster's Speller book - thanks for the pdf link. It looks perfect for her.  The Victory Drill Book and the McGuffey readers look great too.  It is good to know there are other free/inexpensive resources out there.  We are big fans of Explode the Code and definitely plan to finish the series.  

• Like 2