Menu

Ancient World History Literature for 9th grade

OK, so I've been lurking here for a while and have decided to beg for help/suggestions/ideas. I'm just now starting to pull together a literature list to go along with SWB's The History of the Ancient World (THAW) (we've been renovating our kitchen this summer...many school plans have been derailed due to a slow-moving kitchen-currently I'm in panic mode as I try to get this all together).

How do I best do this? I know to hit the classics like the Illiad, the Odyssey, and Gilgamesh. My 9th grader (14 yo son) loves ancient history and is an avid reader. I tried googling 'reading list for The History of the Ancient World' but didn't have much luck. I have a set of the Gateway to the Great Books so I'm hoping I have a good selection to chose from. I"m trying to coordinate his literature with the chapters of THAW as I LOVED how Susan provided reading lists that went with Story of the World, I'm trying to recreate a similar experience. I hope this all makes sense and that someone out there has been there, done that. I'm not typically up this late as I'm more of a morning person so this post may be a rambling mess....

I don't know if there's a list related to that book or not, but you don't have to coordinate it perfectly.  Some places have a lot more literature or at least more lit that you'd want your dc to read at age 14.  Do you have a copy of The Well-Trained Mind?  That book covers SWB's recommendations for all of the school subjects.  Or maybe The Well-Educated Mind?  That goes over how to read different types of literature and gives info on various great works you may want your dc to read.  You can probably get them from your library, if you want to take a look before spending money you might want to reserve for curriculum.

• Like 1

I second Klama.  My daughter will be in the 9th grade this coming fall and we will also be studying the Ancients using  SWB's The History of the Ancient World. I've put together a formal reading list for my daughter using the list in TWTM.  This will be our first time using The History of the Ancient World so I don't know well the book list correlates to the chapters. I'm not going to worry about trying to keep the literature aligned with the chapters in history text.  Instead, I'm going to focus on teaching her "how" to read and write about literature "The Well Trained Mind" way.  

Oh my...thank you so much klmama! Not only do I own The Well Trained Mind, at some point I had marked the page with for history and reading. DOH! What a Homer Simpson moment. I guess in my panic last night I just couldn't think straight. Thanks for steering me in the right direction!