Menu

Ok, it's time for book suggestions for Christmas (warm and fuzzy ones)...

stephanie

Christmas Books -- Tied for Favorite (our boys beg for these two every year):

- Father Christmas Letters (Tolkien) -- letters Tolkien wrote as Father Christmas to his own children, with charming illustrations

(read as one letter a day to go through the whole book!)

- Christmas Every Day (Howells) -- hilarious tale of a Victorian-times girl who gets her wish for Christmas every day, and discovers how horrible it is (slightly longer short story)

Christmas Books -- on our "Don't Miss" list:

- The Remarkable Christmas of the Cobbler's Sons (Sawyer) -- a cranky troll rewards the kind hospitality of 3 poor little brothers at Christmas

- A Small Miracle (Collington) -- a poor, kind old woman has her good deeds rewarded

- The Last Straw (Thury) -- a prideful camel learns humility at the manger

- When It Snowed That Night (Farber) -- charming little poems of all the animals coming to visit baby Jesus

- The Christmas Knight (Curry) -- fun tale of a generous medieval knight who falls on hard times; his generosity -- and the greed of 3 courtiers -- are all appropriately rewarded

- The Other Wise Man (van Dyke) -- tissue alert; I blub every year trying to get through this one

- Dance in the Desert (L'Engle) -- lovely tale of toddler Jesus and his family on their flight to Egypt (slightly longer short story)

- B is for Bethlehem (Wilner) -- colorful, lively Christmas alphabet book

- The Hundred Dresses (Estes) -- painful, but important lesson about not judging a book by its cover (slightly longer short story)

Good Christmas books with Christian theme:

- Pine Tree Parable (Higgs)

- The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey (Wojciechowski)

- The Christmas Visitor (Lussert)

Good Christmas books with themes of generosity, kindness, or changed heart:

- Marvin's Best Christmas Present Ever (Paterson)

- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree (Houston)

- How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Seuss)

- Trouble at Christmas (Johnson)

- Christmas Trolls (Brett)

- The Legend of the Ragged Boy (Magee & Hennessy)

- the chapter "A Letter to Santa Claus" from the book "The Middle Moffat" (Estes)

- A Christmas Carol (abridged picture book by French) -- a longer short story

Christmas books just for fun:

- The Tall book of Christmas (Smith) -- collection of short stories, poems, songs

- Find the Gifts on the Twelve Days of Christmas (Tiritilli) -- a fun search and find book (like Where's Waldo)

- The Polar Express (Allsburg)

- Christmas in the Big Woods (My First Little House Books series) (Ingalls) -- or read the chapter out on Christmas out of "Little House in the Big Woods", or the one out of "Farmer Boy"

Edited by Lori D.
added info

A Bethlehem Christmas by Charles Swindoll

I read this last year and it really got me focused on what was important. It has three chapters. Each chapter is about the Christmas story as seen and experienced (the author's imagination) through the life of each person. Chapter One - Mary, Chapter Two - Joseph, Chapter Three - Gabriel.

All I can say is Wow.

We also enjoyed the DVD, The Nativity Story.

Patty

:lurk5:

I always get my girls at least one new Christmas book each year. I put them away after Christmas so that we don't "over-read" them and find them blah and boring. I can't remember which titles we have so far, but I know one of them has the refrain "Guess who's coming to our house. . ." throughout. The surprise guest is the baby Jesus. One of our fellow WTMers will surely know. It's a sweet little picture book.

Does anyone know a good book about St. Nicholas? (the real saint, I mean)

We have just bought a beautifully illustrated version of 'A Child's Christmas in Wales' by Dylan Thomas. It is so perfectly matched visually to the words, and has such good dose of coziness, I just had to share it. It is by the illustrator Edward Ardizzone who illustrated the Nurse Mathila books and the Little Tim books amongst others.

Edited by Lorna