Menu

If you used D Owens PreCalc then Calc

My son did both DO Precalc and then calculus. I would say there is more work in the precalc class. My son took off a couple of months during the calculus class and had no problem finishing it in the schoolyear. There was no problem with the transition at my home.  I would say that my son gets math fairly easily. I could help him with anything, but he really didn't need any help. He added a AP prep book and a couple of old AP tests and then took the AP Calc AB exam and thought it was easy and made a 5. 

I would love it if Derek Owens would take calculus through AP Calc BC.

• Like 2

Thank you both for your (very different!) answers.  If my son ends up needing more time for the calc than the precalc, he would need the summer to finish the course. But that would be the summer after his senior year, and we are not going to do that.

I guess the worst case would be that I would have to call the course Topics in Calculus rather than Calculus on his transcript.

55 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Thank you both for your (very different!) answers.  If my son ends up needing more time for the calc than the precalc, he would need the summer to finish the course. But that would be the summer after his senior year, and we are not going to do that.

I guess the worst case would be that I would have to call the course Topics in Calculus rather than Calculus on his transcript.

I think we both said the same thing.  More work in the precalculus class.  

It would be easy to finish the calculus class in far less than a year.  I think a good student could easily do it in a semester (which makes sense because it is really a one semester college course).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EKS said:

I think we both said the same thing.  More work in the precalculus class.  

It would be easy to finish the calculus class in far less than a year.  I think a good student could easily do it in a semester (which makes sense because it is really a one semester college course).

Oh, BIG OOPS in my reading comprehension there. Thank you SO much for clarifying. I read your response wrong. I read it as calculus being "way more work than the precalculus class." That's what I get for reading while under-caffeinated. You have no idea how relieved I am now ? 

• Like 1

I agree that precalculus is a lot more work and more time consuming. However, of course, although the calculus course has less work it is more complex. My dd found that she was very well prepared for the AP exam and scored a 5. We have found all of DO's courses to be really, really good.

• Like 2