Menu

CLE grammar levels

Garga

When my ds13 was in 6th grade, we did the first half of Grade 6 CLE for grammar.  When he was in 7th grade, we finished the rest of Grade 6 CLE.  We took two years to do one level.  That was fine.  It was a decision I made based on how much time we had to devote strictly to grammar.

He will be entering 8th grade next year.  How big of a jump is it to skip 7th grade and go right from 6th grade CLE grammar to 8th grade CLE grammar?  I’d like him to do the 8th grade book, but maybe that’s not wise?  I’ve noticed that CLE levels cover the same material over and over again..so will skipping 7th grade CLE be reasonable or a mistake?  

We skipped a level but did it differently. DD16 completed level 700 in 7th grade and skipped level 8 and went right into English 1 (my thought was that she would do English 1 over two years, just to keep her grammar fresh, while spending most of our time on other English topics and skills.

So we never did level 800. But my inclination is to think that you could skip 700 and just do 800, and it would be fine, because there is so much review. Have you tried looking at the scope and sequence to see what may be introduced in 700 that he would miss?

Or think about skipping 700 and 800 altogether and doing half of English 1 in 8th grade and the other half in 9th? I really think that would be fine. (DD16 ended up enrolling in brick and mortar school, so didn't complete English 1, but it was not a problem for her to skip over 800).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

We skipped a level but did it differently. DD16 completed level 700 in 7th grade and skipped level 8 and went right into English 1 (my thought was that she would do English 1 over two years, just to keep her grammar fresh, while spending most of our time on other English topics and skills.

So we never did level 800. But my inclination is to think that you could skip 700 and just do 800, and it would be fine, because there is so much review. Have you tried looking at the scope and sequence to see what may be introduced in 700 that he would miss?

Or think about skipping 700 and 800 altogether and doing half of English 1 in 8th grade and the other half in 9th? I really think that would be fine. (DD16 ended up enrolling in brick and mortar school, so didn't complete English 1, but it was not a problem for her to skip over 800).

You’ve given me a lot to think about.  Thanks!