Menu

Instant pot mac and cheese makers...larger crowd?

Ginevra

Maybe @school17777 can answer this; maybe another Instant Pot user. I know it is possible to make super-delicious mac and cheese in the IP, but I am wondering if you could make a larger amount and if so, how. I want to make mac and cheese for a party and this came up as one way to do it, which would also be able to keep it warm for a while. Anybody do this? 

Yes!  I tripled the recipe in my 8 qt for a tailgate, but I didn’t need to keep it warm for awhile because it was gone before the line was finished.

Just double/triple the recipe.  If it seems to watery when it’s done, hit the sauté button before you add the milk, cheese, and butter.

It should stay warm just fine on the warm button.  You may want to stir and possibly add more milk every once in awhile, if it sits around a bit so it doesn’t get dry.

Have fun at your party!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only been able to make 1 and 1/2 batch of an instant pot mac and cheese in one go.  I'm assuming that you have the 6 quart, but if you have the 8 quart, I suspect that you could make 2 batches at once.  I also have a separate slow cooker that I use to keep food hot.  I've made a few batches for a large function and kept it warm in there. 

• Like 1

I can’t find the recipe I use, but this is what it is:

spray or grease your pot

dump a 16 oz box of pasta in the pot with 4 cups of water and some salt

5 minutes under pressure (most recipes say 4, but I found 5 cooks the past a better)

quick release.  If watery, sauté until not

Add 1/4 cup butter, pour some milk or half & half, add 2 cups cheese along with some Parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper, maybe mustard if you like

• Like 1