Menu

Which level of TT math after BJU Math 7?

I feel sure that after BJU Math 7 (Fundamentals of Math, 2nd edition), my girls would be beyond TT Pre-Algebra.... right??? I’ve looked briefly at my old copy of TT Algebra 1 (first edition), and it looks like it covers mostly the same topics as BJU Math 7. I know TT Algebra 1 has been updated since I used it last, so I’d love to hear from anyone who has successfully moved into TT Algebra 1 2.0 after BJU Math 7. 

Has anyone here ever gone from BJU 7 to TT? Which level of TT worked for your student? I can give the placement test, but I’d like to plan ahead—we’re about to start the BJU math and I’m thinking ahead to NEXT year—so I’m hoping to hear from someone who’s actually done it.

I'm very curious about the progression you are considering.  If these students can handle BJU math now, why would you want to move them to any level of TT 2.0?  Do you dislike the higher level BJU books, love TT, or just want something they can do more independently?  

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 2:24 AM, klmama said:

I'm very curious about the progression you are considering.  If these students can handle BJU math now, why would you want to move them to any level of TT 2.0?  Do you dislike the higher level BJU books, love TT, or just want something they can do more independently?  

We haven't started BJU Math 7. We used CLE Math 6, but I don't really want to use CLE 7 & 8 for two years if I can use BJU Math 7 for ONE year and accomplish the same purpose. My plan is to use TT for Algebra 1 & 2. I do not want to use BJU for PreAlgebra or Algebra. I was wondering if we would be able to go directly from BJU Math 7 to TT Algebra 1.

Here is the sequence I'm considering:

- CLE Math 6 (completed already)

- BJU Math 7 (unless someone can tell me how to condense CLE Math 7 & 8 into one year)

- TT Algebra 1 (???)

46 minutes ago, ereks mom said:

We haven't started BJU Math 7. We used CLE Math 6, but I don't really want to use CLE 7 & 8 for two years if I can use BJU Math 7 for ONE year and accomplish the same purpose. My plan is to use TT for Algebra 1 & 2. I do not want to use BJU for PreAlgebra or Algebra. I was wondering if we would be able to go directly from BJU Math 7 to TT Algebra 1.

Here is the sequence I'm considering:

- CLE Math 6 (completed already)

- BJU Math 7 (unless someone can tell me how to condense CLE Math 7 & 8 into one year)

- TT Algebra 1 (???)

Have you done a placement test to see if your student can go straight from CLE 6 to TT alg 1?  My kids have all gone from Horizons 6 to MUS alg/geo without any issue.  I have only had to briefly review a few concepts that they might not already know.

From reading the forums, CLE and Horizons are probably comparable and MUS/TT equally so.  

I should clarify that I use the MUS alg and geo as pre-alg and pre-alg, but that is not what they are intended to be.

32 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Have you done a placement test to see if your student can go straight from CLE 6 to TT alg 1?  My kids have all gone from Horizons 6 to MUS alg/geo without any issue.  I have only had to briefly review a few concepts that they might not already know.

From reading the forums, CLE and Horizons are probably comparable and MUS/TT equally so.  

I should clarify that I use the MUS alg and geo as pre-alg and pre-alg, but that is not what they are intended to be.

I didn't think of skipping all the way from CLE 6 to TT Algebra 1. I suspect they'll need one more year before they're ready for Algebra. 

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Are you using the old MUS alg/geo? Because I don't think that would be equal to the new TT algebra 1. TT would definitely be harder.