Menu

StarTalk Arabic

Hi guys,

Just thought I would report on my dd's experience at BYU's StarTalk Arabic program this summer--she has just finished her second week, is having a blast, and learning a ton. She already wants to go back next year.

So--two thumbs up from us.

The kids work hard, they keep them studying until 9:30 at night. They get an authentic Middle Eastern dinner every night cooked by group of Syrian refugee women. They've gone hiking, practiced folk dancing, and visited a mosque.

BYU is the hosting school but this particular program does not have an LDS flavor, other than the kids needing to abide by campus dress codes etc. Students and teachers are a diverse group from all over.

• Like 3

Let me know if you have questions.

One thing we found is that applications need to be in early to get on campus housing. Demand is high and they try to accommodate as many people as off campus students as possible but on campus housing is limited.

Maybe they will be able to reserve more in future years; I heard they had twice as many students as anticipated in their first year class this year.

There is some financial aid available.

Just now, maize said:

Let me know if you have questions.

One thing we found is that applications need to be in early to get on campus housing. Demand is high and they try to accommodate as many people as off campus students as possible but on campus housing is limited.

Maybe they will be able to reserve more in future years; I heard they had twice as many students as anticipated in their first year class this year.

There is some financial aid available.

Thanks. We won;t get any aid but the on-campus housing is a bit of a must.This summer ran away from us, and we had conflicts, but he will look into it for next summer.

I assume they have a placement test, yes? Since there's returning kids?

45 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Thanks. We won;t get any aid but the on-campus housing is a bit of a must.This summer ran away from us, and we had conflicts, but he will look into it for next summer.

I assume they have a placement test, yes? Since there's returning kids?

They ask about prior experience with the language in the application process; I think they make initial placement decisions based on self report but can make any necessary adjustments after the students arrive. They currently seem to have first, second, and third year groups with college credit available for the highest level.

There are a few out of town kids who managed to find local hosts but on campus housing definitely simplifies things!

• Thanks 1

Just an update: I attended the end of program banquet last night. I'm so impressed with this program--the kids learned a ton of Arabic and had fun doing it. Dd made lots of friends, many of whom hope to come back next year. I was hearing a lot of Arabic between the kids at the banquet--they had clearly gotten in the habit of using the language wherever possible.

This program has been growing, they had about 30 kids last year and 50 This year.

• Like 1