Menu

suggestions for writing while traveling? Commonplace books?

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas or hints or links about a good way to do some writing while traveling, on the themes of the travel. Something like a commonplace book, except we won't be doing a lot of reading. Mostly I've done commonplace books based on emulating quotes and passages.

My kids are 14 and intellectually probably like 13 for the average WTM kid.

Some kind of notebooking activity I'm thinking. Just looking for ideas. Seen any good links you've tried?

My kids are too old for those scavenger hunt type travel books I've seen. They're not excited to become detectives and super sleuths and what not.

Thanks!

Alan

PS. also Any favorite links about commonplace books in general?

We're currently traveling & my daughter's keeping a diary. She's also taking pictures. I imagine she'll turn it into a Google multimedia Slides show later once travel's done. Perhaps something like that?

Since we're abroad, we also talk about different ways of life & their impression on her. You could consider something like that--but in written format. 

I plan to make an album later. Could you get your kids in on something like that? Adding their thoughts, poems, captions, etc. to it?

My kid is that age and he blogged our recent travels. I wish we had done more but our travel was so intense that in the end I was writing most blog posts. On the ones he did, it was very much a learning exercise—you pay attention in a different way when you know you will have to write about it. My advice is to do it that day or day after; he has to write a generic travel essay now and feeling stuck. I’m like, dude you’ve been to 20 countries...(not all in this last round)

the diary/ scrapbook thing did not work for us at all—I tried with my youngest. Even taping a rice plant to a book and writing three words about it was too taxing at the end of the day ?. She regrets it now, but you win some you lose some. 

Those are great ideas thanks! I do see how it would be hard to keep up a blog though if you are moving around a lot and trying to get one big thing in each day, which is what we are doing.

Hmm... I haven't been great on consistency and discipline up till now, it's probably unrealistic to think I'll improve while traveling.