Menu

Yes and no- adverb or interjection

Sarah0000

The answer key calls it an interjection. Every program I have ever used calls yes/no (in this situation) an interjection. I would go with interjection and leave the whole 'grammar isn't as cut and dried as we'd like it to be' conversation for a few more years. ?

• Like 1

The internet says both ways can be correct but I need to tell my six year old something concrete.

Why? He doesn't need to be taught formal grammar at all at this age. Why start teaching it early if you're going to tell him things that aren't true? The sort of muddled thinking people have around grammar shows that this approach is counterproductive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarah0000 said:

Thank you! I didn't realize there was an answer key. Hopefully I won't need it again.

I'd really encourage you to get the Answer Key/Teacher's Manual.  There's really a lot of good stuff in it --- it brings your attention to some of the poetics in the sentence, it highlights vocabulary and stems, and it will give you insight as to why that particular sentence was chosen.  Practice Island is where the student really learns the grammar (whereas Grammar Island introduces the grammar topics, IMO.). 

Because he finds it interesting. Anyone can have muddled thinking about anything at any age. My husband likes to tell a story about how he thought a "TERodactyl" and a "puhterodactyl" were two different types of dinosaurs until he was an adult.