Menu

Just starting 9th grade planning

So, we have been very busy lately. My daughter graduated, we've been out of the country, jet lag, lol...Anyway, I'm just now settling down to see about my upcoming 9th graders curriculum for this fall. Although he's a bright kid, he does have some challenges. He has been diagnosed with Non verbal learning disorder, which for him just means I need to be a little more hands on to help keep him on track and help with instructions. He also has a writing disability, dysgraphia, so we do alot of things out loud, or he types, which helps some.

So...with that background, what I'm here for at the moment is help with language arts, Biology and Ancient history curriculum for grade 9. What worked for you? I've been researching but am a bit overwhelmed. We are Christian, and would like the biology at least to reflect that viewpoint. Thanks so much!

For biology we used Science Shepherd.  It is not as fast paced as BJU but much less "chatty" than Apologia.  All 3 curriculum are good, just style preference.  Apologia does have an audio cd if that makes any difference.

What type of program are in hoping to find?  Traditional text?  Workbook style?  Charlotte Mason?  I'm not as informed on dysgraphia as others here probably are, but I'd like to offer suggestions if I can. 

Winston Grammar is interesting because it uses flash cards to parse sentences.  It is more visual than other programs due to the use of flash cards.

Ancient History.....do you want a video series, such as courses The Great Courses offer? 

Alpha Omega Press offers smaller workbook/fill in the blank type "lifepacs".  There are usually 10 LifePacs per course so it isn't as overwhelming as a big text.  PAC offers a similar style.  I've only used PAC World Geography so I can't comment on their history. 

For 9th grade, we used Seton's Composition for Young Catholics (we are not Catholic but it worked nicely and wasn't too much).  We also used Seton's High School Grammar (that's pretty Catholic and has a lot of Mary miracles and saint stuff, so it might or might not be a problem for you.)  

For Ancient literature, we watched the movie Troy (skip the opening scenes) and then read The Trojan War and used Memoria Press' guide to go along with it.  I think we did some additional fun mythology stuff, but it escapes me now.  I think we also read a fun version of Epic of Gilgamesh.  Oh, and we read stuff from Graphic Canon Volume 1 (edited with a black sharpie by me in places), and she wrote very short 3 sentence summaries of those excerpts.

For Ancient History, we used Human Odyssey Volume I (yes I know some people prefer that for middle school.  But I like it for high school.  YMMV).  

We like the Great Courses Foundations of Western Civilization and History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective for ancient history combined with part of K12's Our Human Story textbook for Ancient/Medieval History. Not sure if it would be a good text to read aloud or not, but it was engaging for my kids to read. We just did weekly summaries for output.

For English we read and discuss works like Beowulf and The Odyssey and C.S. Lewis's Til We Have Faces combined with the Elegant Essay for composition. They do a lesson from Vocab from Classical Roots and a  grammar review exercise each week just to keep their skills sharp.

We like Apologia for Biology. It's great for my kids to do independently, but I'm not sure how well it would work to read aloud.

Thank you all. Each of you has given me something to consider. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but maybe I can focus my research a bit more.

Considering apologia for biology, I see they have a DVD, and text cd rom, as well as traditional text. I need to give that all some thought. Also considering biology 101, a DVD from answers in genesis that has optional work to make it a high school credit. Concerned with its structure and whether it's "enough" though.

I love your ideas with lit, just to do living books, Troy, Homer, etc. I Love literature and get excited about teaching it. I just get a little nervous at little no structure, but that's just me, I can do it, I've done it before. ?I own vocab with classical roots already, and am considering the Power in Your Hands for writing . Jump In worked well for him in the past, and this looks similar.Grammar he's very strong in, but doesn't apply it to his own writing well, so I'm considering Fix It, from IEW...(i think)

The ancients...Im going to look into great courses,I haven't done that yet. I don't want to spend a fortune, but of course want something wonderful. I'm considering Diana Warings Ancient course, it's heavily audio. Brendon is very audio/ visual but also needs routine and structure. He did amazingly wonderful with TT, which I know is easy, and that's ok, he needs to build confidence. He also has a math disbability, mildly. But it makes me wonder if so should look at more curricula with that media.

Thank you for reading my rambling, trying to get my disjointed thoughts together. Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm off to look into them.