Menu

History - The Good & the Beautiful ?

Murphy101

Has anyone used this? If so, can the audio recordings be skipped entirely?  The samples sounded like just fictional story telling and rather hokey and I'd rather avoid going online during lessons anyways.  But I like the CM history setup.

I think that for some lessons the audio is the whole lesson.  I owned the first year history and ended up not using it for a variety of reasons and I seem to remember that there were a lot of lessons that depended entirely on that audio.  

44 minutes ago, JanOH said:

I think that for some lessons the audio is the whole lesson.  I owned the first year history and ended up not using it for a variety of reasons and I seem to remember that there were a lot of lessons that depended entirely on that audio.  

Ugh. So much for that then.  I don’t think I could listen to that for every lesson without losing my mind. 

Well I guess the follow question is if there’s a similiar history program.  I really liked the layout of ancient to modern with going more in depth on different things in each rotation. Though I think there should be way more than 4 rotations. 

Wanted to provide a little more detail on the year 1 and audio if it would help you decide a bit more. Year 1 has 60 lessons. There are 28 audio pieces in the whole year (if I just counted correctly). Most of those times, I didn’t think the main part of that day’s lesson was from the audio. It was part of that day’s lesson.

But some days the audio was the main part of the lesson such as lesson 50 where you learn about Victorian age. The audio length on that one is 8 minutes. You can read the script instead and glean the info. Most of that lesson is the narrator describing life in that time and very little is the kids and the relatives. Other lessons where the audio is a part of the day and not the full day the kids talk more. If the audio is not to liking, then the script can be used instead and you and your kids can take turns practicing out loud drama reading skills. I can’t remember where in the physical books the scripts are or aren’t, but I paid the small extra to have download and print so scripts where there in downloads. (ps: the pdf of the script is available at the link where listen to the audio. that's where I got it. ok.)

length of audio: from a couple of minutes up to about 20 for the longest one I remember seeing (st. patrick story).

I agree that the adventure style listening was not what I wanted and not to my tastes. I had hopes to have my youngest listen while having the script to work on listening skills and hearing audio drama. But she really is not a history fan so it didn’t work out. I don’t know what it is like in the other history years. Even though I read most of the teaching plans,  we only actively did through lesson 17 before I decided to give up the hopes that history with this special ed youngest would involve listening to any stories. (She doesn’t even like SOTW so I should have known, but I thought she just didn’t like listening to me read.)

not sure if it is what you want or want to not use.  but thought some details might help?

7 hours ago, cbollin said:

Wanted to provide a little more detail on the year 1 and audio if it would help you decide a bit more. Year 1 has 60 lessons. There are 28 audio pieces in the whole year (if I just counted correctly). Most of those times, I didn’t think the main part of that day’s lesson was from the audio. It was part of that day’s lesson.

But some days the audio was the main part of the lesson such as lesson 50 where you learn about Victorian age. The audio length on that one is 8 minutes. You can read the script instead and glean the info. Most of that lesson is the narrator describing life in that time and very little is the kids and the relatives. Other lessons where the audio is a part of the day and not the full day the kids talk more. If the audio is not to liking, then the script can be used instead and you and your kids can take turns practicing out loud drama reading skills. I can’t remember where in the physical books the scripts are or aren’t, but I paid the small extra to have download and print so scripts where there in downloads. (ps: the pdf of the script is available at the link where listen to the audio. that's where I got it. ok.)

length of audio: from a couple of minutes up to about 20 for the longest one I remember seeing (st. patrick story).

I agree that the adventure style listening was not what I wanted and not to my tastes. I had hopes to have my youngest listen while having the script to work on listening skills and hearing audio drama. But she really is not a history fan so it didn’t work out. I don’t know what it is like in the other history years. Even though I read most of the teaching plans,  we only actively did through lesson 17 before I decided to give up the hopes that history with this special ed youngest would involve listening to any stories. (She doesn’t even like SOTW so I should have known, but I thought she just didn’t like listening to me read.)

not sure if it is what you want or want to not use.  but thought some details might help?

They help in solidifying my no-go decision for it. So thanks! ?

• Like 1