Menu

Alternatives to Derek Owen's Geometry

I used to think online classes cost a fortune.  Then I really started thinking about it.  I compare classes to music lessons.  I pay $1200/ year for lessons for 1 instrument.  So, DO is $58/month. Less than $600/school year. Classes are exceptional, graded by someone else(you can do this and the class fee is less), DD has accountability.   We used DO for Alg 2 and probably will for Pre Calc next year, and AP Calc the next.

That said, we used TT Geometry for both older dc.  It is a good program. Not sure how the graded class would work, though. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rjand6more said:

I used to think online classes cost a fortune.  Then I really started thinking about it.  I compare classes to music lessons.  I pay $1200/ year for lessons for 1 instrument.  So, DO is $58/month. Less than $600/school year. Classes are exceptional, graded by someone else(you can do this and the class fee is less), DD has accountability.   We used DO for Alg 2 and probably will for Pre Calc next year, and AP Calc the next.

That said, we used TT Geometry for both older dc.  It is a good program. Not sure how the graded class would work, though. 

ITA! My friend's daughter has used Derek Owens and raved about the support he gave her daughter who blew a couple of lessons.  He got back to her almost immediately to go over what she'd missed because he didn't want her going forward without understanding the material.  That being said, there is an appeal to TT Geometry as it is significantly cheaper.  I'm looking at the Unlock Math Geometry right now since I just saw it recommended on another thread.  It's about $300 for a year.  My son needs lots of accountability, especially in math and this former-highschool math teaching mama isn't about to fight that battle with him ?

I don't have personal experience with DO courses.  I've heard they are great though.  I just am interested in hearing what else is out there that would fit the criteria of rigorous, a good STEM prep course, not graded by me, and cheaper. I have numerous children, and I have desires for all of them to take the best of the best courses, but unfortunately, finances come into play in making that decision.  I used TT Geometry with my non-mathy child, and while it was a great fit for him, I do not think it would be as challenging as I want this other child to experience.  

1 hour ago, twinkletoesmomma said:

I don't have personal experience with DO courses.  I've heard they are great though.  I just am interested in hearing what else is out there that would fit the criteria of rigorous, a good STEM prep course, not graded by me, and cheaper. I have numerous children, and I have desires for all of them to take the best of the best courses, but unfortunately, finances come into play in making that decision.  I used TT Geometry with my non-mathy child, and while it was a great fit for him, I do not think it would be as challenging as I want this other child to experience.  

I hear you ?

I used to teach high school geometry but I have a semi-non-mathy kid.  He could do the work but he's just a reluctant learner and not very motivated by math which totally is against my nature and we butt heads a lot.  He used to game the system with TT when he was younger but apparently, the newer version has the ability to turn off the hints and extra chances features.  From the online video tours, I think DO would be excellent but my son just watched them and his (DO's) voice and the TT voice drove my son bonkers so I'm back to square one. Gah, this is hard.