Menu

Update- HS math class at PS and possible grade issue

So, this could end up not being an issue but I want to start coaching my daughter on how to approach the teacher to discuss this in case she needs to.  She is down to 2 weeks of school so it would need to happen soon.

She is an 8th grader in a geometry class. She is taking it for credit so her grade does matter.  They took a test in class last month that should have fallen under 80% weight (based on all other tests this year). However, the teacher allowed everyone the option to retake it at home due to low grades on it and then she put it under 20% weight.  My daughter nailed the test in class, even earning extra credit.  

Her second test, taken this week she didn’t do as well on (84%) but does have the option of retaking.   She will retake and should be fine to bring her grade up. (She would retake no matter where he semester grade is at).

Not taking into consideration her retaking the second test, does she have a fight that her first test should have been weighted at 80% (therefore putting her semester grade at like 97%) or is it tough luck (therefore her grade is 88.5%)?  I am not sure my daughter would have caught the grade being filed under a different percentage but she does understand the effect it has in her grade.

If she should talk to the teacher should she do it now, or wait til after she sees how her retake goes?

Update:  She talked to her teacher after class Friday and found out she wasn’t the first to be concerned. The teacher is going to wait til end of the semester and make a adjustment to balance the gradebook so she ends up with a solid A.  Teacher also agreed that she doesn’t need to retake test 2 to keep an A.  She missed one problem, the other two she missed points on she had a mind fart on the term for the written explanation but knew it the second she got her test back, or had a very stupid mathematical error.  

i see no harm in asking.  reminds me of my final in a micro econ class.  The test was brutal.  Something like 1/2 the class got a "D".  I was exactly on the line for a "B'.  The professor said he did not realize how hard the test was.  So, he added a few points overall to all scores. Most of the bottom 1/2 got to a "C".  A couple of students who had a B-plus got bumped to an  "A".  The points bump did nothing for me. 

I think she should ask.  The problem might be that the teacher's grading software forces her to make everyone's test be weighed the same.  I would think she could find a work around, but it might take her extra time.  

11 minutes ago, gstharr said:

i see no harm in asking.  reminds me of my final in a micro econ class.  The test was brutal.  Something like 1/2 the class got a "D".  I was exactly on the line for a "B'.  The professor said he did not realize how hard the test was.  So, he added a few points overall to all scores. Most of the bottom 1/2 got to a "C".  A couple of students who had a B-plus got bumped to an  "A".  The points bump did nothing for me. 

Thank you...  I think we will role play how to bring it up and why she feels it is wrong.  I looked closer at the second test grade (she has not had it handed back yet) however she (and probably others) had the highest points on it.  

9 minutes ago, EKS said:

I think she should ask.  The problem might be that the teacher's grading software forces her to make everyone's test be weighed the same.  I would think she could find a work around, but it might take her extra time.  

I think this was the issue but am hoping there is a work around.