Menu

Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind vs. Rod and Staff English

Tajeune

For anyone who has used both (or anyone who wants to give me their perspective on one of the two), can you tell me the difference between R&S English and Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind and what you think the pros and cons of each of them are?  We went through all 4 levels of FLL and took the year off from grammar.  We did go through WWE Level 3 this year to focus on writing.  We are planning to pick up with grammar in the upcoming school year.  Thanks in Advance!  

I don't have experience with the WTM Grammar program, but wanted to say that I really love R&S English. We just completed book 5 (today!) and look forward to using book 6 in the fall. The pros are...lots of repetition, layers new information slowly, the information does go deep. We follow the oral part of the lesson and I hand pick what they do for written work, which is most, but not all. I do allow the kids to write directly in their books. I wouldn't have it any other way. The "homework" goes by faster and I think the information sticks better. They have a separate composition book for diagramming or writing sentences or paragraphs, however, a lot of their work is done in the book. My kids have an amazing understanding of grammar and the like. 

• Like 2

We're finding GFTWTM to be challenging (the good kind) for my seventh grader, but it was too much for my sixth grader who had just finished FLL4 and she switched to Hake 5 for this year and it's been better. But I don't think GFTWTM is an immediate followup to FLL4 (similar to how WWS may need to wait a bit after finishing WWE). 

IMHO, GWTM is not as easy to use as R&S because the teacher book and the key are separate items.  Level-wise, I thought it was about right for my 8th grader, but it would also be fine for high school.  It is very thorough.  I think it's doable for a younger student, but I would probably take it slower.