Menu

Recorder lesson book

Targhee

I need a how-to-play recorder book for a 6 yr old. I'm know music, I play several instruments, ive sat through music lessons with my older three, and I can even play the recorder. I guess I just need a scope and sequence and some good ways of introducing musical concepts in the beginning so youngest dd can start on recorder. And I'd prefer something that has good typesetting and design because for some reason it makes all the difference with me ?

Another vote for Penny Gardner's Nine Note Recorder. We used the original edition, lo these many moons ago. Now there is The New... edition, and a Quick Method edition.

Poor design and layout drives me up a tree, too, and I never had that reaction with Penny Gardner's book. I found the layout to be very readable -- the lines of music are extra large and easy to see, and while she does include small blocks of text for explanation here and there, plus little clip art images, it never felt visually crowded or chaotic to me. From the sample pages, it does look like the newer editions have more of those small blocks of text than the original did.

• Like 1