Menu

Crash course on Language arts options?

Kendall

There are so very many language arts options. I am trying to help someone figure out 3rd grade materials, but I'm not sure what I have always done is going to be a great fit for them and I want to have some other options to share. The choices are overwhelming. Is there a website or post that lists and categorizes programs and options for the different areas of language arts?  This child is reading well.

52 minutes ago, Kendall said:

There are so very many language arts options. I am trying to help someone figure out 3rd grade materials, but I'm not sure what I have always done is going to be a great fit for them and I want to have some other options to share. The choices are overwhelming. Is there a website or post that lists and categorizes programs and options for the different areas of language arts?  This child is reading well.

There are way too many choices and options and whatnot for a single website to have all that information in one place. :-)

The components of "language arts" are phonics/learn to read, reading/literature, composition, spelling/vocabulary, penmanship.

How you choose will depend on your own philosophy of education. Do you like the Well Trained Mind approach? Then use all of the Peace Hill Press books. Charlotte Mason? Then Simply Charlotte Mason, or Ambleside Online (which is everything, not just "language arts"). Do you like textbooks? Then Rod and Staff English and spelling (maybe the Bible Nurture and Reader series). Literature-based? Sonlight. Or homeschool-y completely eclectic? Writing Strands, Easy Grammar, Easy Writing, Progeny Press, Spelling Power.

Yes, it overwhelming. :-)

What have you used so far?

Thanks for the ideas and the clarifying questions.

I am asking for someone else, or rather so that I can give her some options to look at without being overwhelmed by ALL of the options.  Personally, I have used Spelling Power, Rod and Staff Grammar (though I don't start until 4th and I don't use the writing and we do most of it aloud), I also have used Mother Tongue 2 but I think old vintage texts without answer keys will not be good for this mom.

I've used Classical Writing some, mostly Aesop and Poetry and some Homer. 

I try to use dictation/copywork/narration and am actually renewing my determination to use narration after reading Know and Tell by Glass.

I've used Writing with Ease with my last 2 kids, but after reading Know and Tell I have lots of questions/thoughts roaming about my head about the difference between WWE type work and narration.

I've used McCall Crabbs.

I don't use vocabulary programs much, but have used Vocabulary Vine(very roots based) some. And my kids start Latin somewhere between 2nd and 4th so lots of roots/grammar there. This mom isn't ready to do (nor am I suggesting) Latin at this point. I do use analogies books.

This mom has used Alphaphonics (at my recommendation) and Explode the Code (I think 1,2 and 3 this year). I know I abandoned Explode the Code by 3 I think.

She used WWE 1 but her daughter got tired of it and so they didn't finish it.

She hasn't done spelling yet. I don't want to recommend a tedious, busywork spelling program. But I think she may want a workbook of some kind rather than Spelling Power that I use.

They did orally some old booklets that I loaned her that had analogies, distinctions, and categories. At least I think they did them all.

I tend to like Charlotte Mason style in the younger grades with a side of classical. I will not want to recommend traditional school-at-home mainstream publishers(Abeka, etc). We are working on this, but she has trouble thinking she can skip things and worries about missing something.

Probably more than you wanted. Thanks for your thoughts!

Kendall 

56 minutes ago, Holly said:

Would the WTM Planning worksheet help?  It would give her a few options for each subject area.  There is one for the logic stage too.

https://welltrainedmind.com/a/elementary-curriculum-planning-worksheet/

I live this idea, but there doesn't seem to be a link anymore. 

I found it. Thanks!

Edited by Kendall