Menu

Help with hands free device

Night Elf

There's a new law going into effect at the end of the month that says I can't talk on my cell by holding it in my hand against my ear anymore while driving. I have to use a hands free device. I have no clue what to look for. I have an iPhone 7. What do I buy?

I work from home and wanted a hands-free device to talk on while I worked and talked and typed.  I bought several bluetooth devices at Best Buy and tried them out then returned the ones I decided against.  I stayed with a Plantronics one (Explorer 505 I think) that was about $60.  The quality of the sound was fine for me in the different ones, but there was a noticeable difference for the people on the other end.  HTH!

12 hours ago, Sue in St Pete said:

I work from home and wanted a hands-free device to talk on while I worked and talked and typed.  I bought several bluetooth devices at Best Buy and tried them out then returned the ones I decided against.  I stayed with a Plantronics one (Explorer 505 I think) that was about $60.  The quality of the sound was fine for me in the different ones, but there was a noticeable difference for the people on the other end.  HTH!

Thank you. I'll take a look.

2 other things to check when you buy a bluetooth.  Mine holds a charge for 7 hours.  If I am wearing it and it's on, but I'm not using it, it doesn't seem to drain the battery.  7 hours is a nice long time and a cheaper bluetooth might hold a charge for a shorter time.  Also, I imagine that more expensive devices can be farther from the phone.  For example, I can leave my phone in my office, walk through another room and down the hallway to the bathroom, and still stay connected.  I keep thinking that when I need a new device, I want to check that distance as I can't leave the phone at one end of the house and walk to the opposite end of the house without being disconnected.  The link below says the range is 33 feet.  Just something to investigate..

This is the one I have.  I've had it for 3 years and been happy with it.

My brother has an even more expensive bluetooth.  His will cancel out background noise much better than mine.  If I'm outside, people will comment on the bird noises.  My sister buys fairly cheap ones.  I think she mostly uses it in the car and she loses them on a regular basis.

If you won’t often use it you might be better off not getting one and just pulling off the road if you need to have a short conversation.  To use it you need to have it on, your phone’s Bluetooth on, and have it paired to your phone. Not something you want to do every time you drive and you can’t do it fast enough when a call comes in.