Menu

Poetry - Middle Ages

So, I'd love suggestions for poetry to supplement our history reading...both things written in the middle ages or about the middle ages.   We're using Story of the World, so things from other cultures touched on (Islamic, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Native American).   Any suggestions welcome (though we are mainly looking for shorter poems....no more than a page or two long).

Off the top of my head this year we have read some epic poetry like Beowulf (in an easier translation for my middle schooler and a more thorough one for my high schooler.)  We did Haiku for Japanese poetry. I found some great books at the library on how they are written- there is more to it than just the syllabification! And we read a book of famous Haiku.  We tried our hand at writing one after that. I can't fhink of any Indian or Native American poetry that we did. As we wrapped up the end of the year for Renaissance time, they each had to memorize a Shakespeare sonnet.