Menu

Soccer Cleats Question

Rebecca

So, one of my sons is a freshman and began playing soccer for a local Christian school this year. He played some indoor for Winter, and he is now playing Spring rec.

How often do I replace his cleats? Is it once every season? 

He played competitive soccer for fall. He used indoor shoes for winter. I thought he could keep using the fall cleats for the spring rec and get a new pair for this coming fall. However, I did just buy him another pair- because I felt concerned when I was watching him on the field.

Just as a note: I am not a very adept sports Mom- and I ended up having to buy two pairs of cleats for fall- because the first pair I bought were terrible and were causing him intense pain. I learned from this, and got him a good quality Adidas pair- we now stick with Adidas. But anyway....

How often do you buy cleats?

Thank you!

Rebecca

I think you’re overthinking this.

For me, it depends on how fast the child’s foot grows. Ds needed two pairs this fall because the kid grows like a weed, but I haven’t had to buy a new pair for him yet this spring. I’d like to think I’ll be able to make it until fall before buying him another pair, but again, it depends on how fast he grows. Both dds are still wearing their cleats from this past fall and I suspect I won’t need to buy them a new pair until fall.

I’m also not brand loyal. Ds has had Nikes the last few pairs. Dd1 is wearing Umbros. Dd2 is wearing Under Armour. I buy what’s comfortable for the person wearing them and in my price range. I buy way too many cleats to fit growing feet to invest in expensive pairs. I shop at Dick’s and I buy the cheapest comfortable pair. I also pass cleats down. Except ds’s cleats, but not because I think they’re worn out, but because they stink and it’s really unfair to expect the girls to wear those toxic waste dumps. It’s a deep stink that resists all attempts at eradication and deodorization. I suspect playing in the rain probably doesn’t help matters.

It is really only necessary to buy new cleats if they no longer fit, are visibly falling apart, have lost their support, or are causing pain (which can include things like shin splints, not just foot pain). If they fit, feel good, and look okay, they're good to go. 

• Like 1

My soccer players go through two pairs of boots each season.  They wear out. Except my goal keeper son. He went through one pair a season, but multiple pairs of goal keeper gloves, which aren’t cheap. 

My 17 year old buys boots with a warranty. So if they wear out too fast, he gets a partial refund to use on another pair of the same brand. I think they are Nike. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

I bought a pair of diadoras in the fall. They were inexpensive, and I didn't know any better. They were terrible and hurt my son's joint around his ankle. He was playing competitive soccer, and he was having trouble running, etc. I bought them at a used sports store (they were new, though). A week or so of every day practice, and we were taking an emergency trip to the local sports store to find a decent pair of cleats. My lesson learned: the cheaper pair ultimately cost me MORE money. :( 

My high school kids are no longer outgrowing their shoes regularly. However, it is important to replace worn out sport shoes whether they are outgrown or not to prevent injury.  I was a runner in high school, and I had to replace my shoes regularly. I just asked my Mom (cause I couldn't remember!!!!) and found out we had to replace them each season or every 500 miles. 

My basketball son (senior) needed a new pair each competitive season.

I am surprised by some of the answers.

Adidas fit my kids feet- and we learned to choose that brand the hard way. I will never just buy a "least expensive" pair of *any* athletic shoes for a high school aged athlete again. I do buy the lower end shoes in  the  brand that works, though.

I always wear Saucony for running (when I was younger) and for walking now. From my experience, it is pretty normal for an athlete to stick with a brand that works for their foot. 

I am new to soccer, so I thought I would ask other moms what they do.

I have bought used cleats for my younger children ( and the son who is now a freshman) in the past- and there was no problem- however, the amount of play and running my younger children (k-7) do/did was significantly different from what my high school people engage in.

Finally, my freshman is not good at communicating pain, etc. He can't really recognize when there is a problem with his shoes. So, I was reaching out for a baseline.

His shoes from fall are getting worn, I just am not sure how worn. :( 

It seems like the answer is to replace them when they are worn, and I need to figure out when that is for this son.

-Rebecca