Menu

Independent history/literature/writing work for ds10

Tracy

I have been using TOG and I love it. But I got sick, and I can't keep up with the prep time required. I need something more independent for him. He is is a bright kid with a strong history background. He is also a very good and prolific writer. He is now working on the last book in a trilogy, the first two books being about 50 typed pages. Is there something out there that is sufficiently challenging for him? 

What about going more Charlotte Mason and having Him produce weekly written narrations? My DD reads a section of history (currently SOTW4) and writes and illustrates a narration. It’s pretty incredible how creative she has become with the illustrations. She is learning to think visually as well as verbally. DD enjoys this. She says the written narrations help her to really remember the content. 

My very independent worker, now 13, really loved Pandia Press’s History Odyssey at 10. I never graded anything, just checked for completion. I wanted what he wrote to reflect HIS understanding of history and what was important. He ended up with beautiful notebooks of narrations and facts, and a very strong interest and understanding of history. One of the best educational choices I’ve ever made. 

Notgrass is another option. Both Notgrass and History Odyssey incorporate literature. 

On 4/14/2018 at 4:02 PM, JHLWTM said:

What about going more Charlotte Mason and having Him produce weekly written narrations? My DD reads a section of history (currently SOTW4) and writes and illustrates a narration. It’s pretty incredible how creative she has become with the illustrations. She is learning to think visually as well as verbally. DD enjoys this. She says the written narrations help her to really remember the content. 

This is exactly what I cannot do. CM requires too much from me. I need him to be able to open a book and see what he needs to do. 

On 4/14/2018 at 4:47 PM, happypamama said:

My very independent worker, now 13, really loved Pandia Press’s History Odyssey at 10. I never graded anything, just checked for completion. I wanted what he wrote to reflect HIS understanding of history and what was important. He ended up with beautiful notebooks of narrations and facts, and a very strong interest and understanding of history. One of the best educational choices I’ve ever made. 

Notgrass is another option. Both Notgrass and History Odyssey incorporate literature. 

Thank you! I will check out both of these.