Menu

Anyone try turmeric for medicinal purposes?

IfIOnly

On 4/13/2018 at 11:43 AM, IfIOnly said:

The Oregon Harvest linked in the OP is a size 0 cap. Not sure if that size is too big for you? I've seen huge, horse capsules, and these seem somewhere in the middle of the range. I haven't tried any other good, absorpable brands to know if they come even smaller!

That's still a little too big. The ones I have are probably a 000 size. A 3 would be perfect!! 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 10:43 AM, Greta said:

I take turmeric and ginger to help with my migraines.  They both help (I've tested them individually and together.  Honestly ginger works best, but turmeric helps too.)  I haven't really noticed any other benefits from it, but I'll keep using it, because it works for what I wanted it!

I believe there are some contraindications that people should be aware of, though.  I've read that people who are on blood thinners, and people with gall or kidney stones should not take it.  

I'd like to try adding some ginger to help with headaches and already have some capsules in the cupboard. Would you mind sharing how much works for you?

Update

The good: I experienced  marked better mood, brain function, and pain relief. The pain relief was notable. It's very painful to me to bend/stretch my neck from side to side or down. I was able to do this with with considerable less pain. Less back pain too. I felt the most normal I have in a long time. The brain fog began lifting. It was amazing really. I highly recommend giving turmeric a try!

The bad: Turmeric ended up giving me insomnia as most products than enhance my mood do. BUMMER. Also, it gave me the worst case of constipation I've ever experienced! Like I didn't go for almost a week! I was trying so many things after several days like so many prunes and large doses of magnesium but finally had to resort to OTC laxatives for the first time ever. The insomnia may have had more to do with the constipation but was probably a mix. 

Within a day of not taking turmeric, the benefits began to diminish. So, I've not going to give up on it but will be starting with just one cap a day, slowly adding another to find out how much I can take, if any at all.  Also, I'll be doing things from the beginning to defensively counteract the constipation that, lucky me, I experienced.  Taking a break ATM but will start back up one my sleep levels out!

• Like 1

Another bummer: because I felt good for a bit, now my fibro feels awful. Not because it's worse, just that I had a reprieve and it's hitting me at once. After so long, there's no comparison or remembering life without pain, just a new normal of chronic pain. :(