Menu

elementary math

countrymum

Here's my thoughts. I am using Abeka k and 1 this year and I do like it. I used it as a student, and liked it, years ago for 5th-algebra 2. However, I have a respected teacher friend who has taught lower elementary in a Christian school for more than 10 years and has used both. She likes BJU and says Abeka has holes. Abeka is coming out with new editions that they say "enhance their spiral" just ahead of my oldest so maybe the holes are being fixed. I just am thinking...

Neither, and I'd run far away from both, preferring to make up my own rather than use them, because
1. I have very strong feelings about BJU and won't let it their products in my house.

2. I won't a math curriculum that has this on their website: “Unlike the ‘modern math’ theorists, who believe that mathematics is a creation of man and thus arbitrary and relative, A Beka Book teaches that the laws of mathematics are a creation of God and thus absolute…A Beka Book provides attractive, legible, and workable traditional mathematics texts that are not burdened with modern theories such as set theory. "http://www.abeka.com/SubjectDistinctives.aspx

My job is to prepare my kids to think mathematically (even my 8yo has been introduced to set theory!).  BJU won't do that and give me a clear conscience and A Beka limits them from exposure to higher math deliberately, as part of their design.  If I had to choose between the two above, I'd go through MEP and Khan Academy, both free and providing an education I can see enhancing my children instead of limiting them.