Menu

Rainbow Science for 6th grade? Another question! (4-13-18)

wehave8

Can a 6th grader do Rainbow Science?

Would he enjoy it if he is naturally a hands-on boy who somewhat likes science?  Or would it be difficult and kill any science love that was there, maybe being too advanced for him?

Pam

I tried to do the first half of Rainbow Science with an 8th grader & a 6th grader. Both were/are average kids with no love for science or advanced aptitude/interest in it. The 8th grader made it through (still with no love for science or interest in it), but the 6th grader couldn't grasp the ideas or the math. I've definitely seen other posters say their kids were able to do it in 6th-7th (and maybe a 5th grader, once?), but the particular 6th grader I tried it with was a fail.

I don't think it is extremely advanced. I don't think it was hugely hands-on, either (or I probably wouldn't have done it). It was a good year. I might try it with my boys when they are 6th/7th or 7th/8th if their math is there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I tried to do the first half of Rainbow Science with an 8th grader & a 6th grader. Both were/are average kids with no love for science or advanced aptitude/interest in it. The 8th grader made it through (still with no love for science or interest in it), but the 6th grader couldn't grasp the ideas or the math. I've definitely seen other posters say their kids were able to do it in 6th-7th (and maybe a 5th grader, once?), but the particular 6th grader I tried it with was a fail.

I don't think it is extremely advanced. I don't think it was hugely hands-on, either (or I probably wouldn't have done it). It was a good year. I might try it with my boys when they are 6th/7th or 7th/8th if their math is there.

Is there enough to spread it out 3 years, 6th-8th?

12 minutes ago, wehave8 said:

Is there enough to spread it out 3 years, 6th-8th?

IMO, no. Easier to do it in one year, actually. The bio is outdated in year two -we didn't use it. Lessons (non-lab days) we're very short. Easy to do some in 20-30 minutes or less.

3 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

IMO, no. Easier to do it in one year, actually. The bio is outdated in year two -we didn't use it. Lessons (non-lab days) we're very short. Easy to do some in 20-30 minutes or less.

Then I could plan 6th & 7th, and I'll do something else for 8th.  I have a ton of TOPS on my shelf.  Maybe I'll finally get to them!

Thanks!

Pam

my DS did Year 1 in 6th grade and loved it.  he opted not to do Year 2.  My DD did Year 1 in 8th grade.  She liked the physics stuff only.  She had done BJU Life in 7th, so no need to consider Year 2 for her.  

I wouldn't just plan 2 years of it.  I would do the first year, and then try to find the 2nd to look at.  I wasn't impressed with the 2nd year and I know someone who also felt the same way.  

• Like 2

Looking at the student book and reviews from here, and rethinking 6th-8th for youngest ds.

Maybe do more interest lead science for 6th and 7th and do Rainbow all in 8th?

I think I saw that by 8th grade it could be all done in 1 year?

Pam

My oldest did Rainbow Science over two years because we were doing it with another family, but he felt that Year 1 was much stronger, more interesting, and slightly more challenging than Year 2. I think your plan to do Year 1 and then re-evaluate before buying Year 2 is a good one. Year 1 is quite full, so I think it would be challenging to complete both years in one. Seventh grade might be the best time to start, so that you can go ahead with Year 2 before high school if you choose to. 

• Like 1

I think you need to take it one year at a time and not try to plan ahead too much. Just my opinion based on experience. (Every time I try to plan more than a year in advance, it all goes 'poof' on me.) Doing Rainbow Year 1 with your kid will show you what it covers & how much your kid likes it. If he wants another year of hands-on stuff, you go one way. If he wants more text-book-y (though I haven't had one of those yet), you can go another. If he blasts through Year 1 in a semester, you pull out your TOPS.

Must.stay.flexible.