Menu

Online English class for 11th/creative writing? ideas please

My son is doing Great Conversations at Wilson Hill now. He likes it fine, but I don't think there is enough reading of full books or enough writing. 

He would like a class that has some great books (not neccesarily classics--can be some great new literature too!), some creative writing and some academic writing. It's fine if you have a creative writing class to suggest separately. Would prefer non-Christian approach.

Thank you so much.

Edited by Halcyon

Online G3 has literature classes that can include a writing component to supplement. They look like just literature and essays, though. Maybe creative writing with Write at Home or So Verbose? We're planning to do the One Year Adventure Novel for creative writing, but there is only 1 book scheduled in the course. You could maybe do both over 2 years (alternate semesters?) and cover all the English he needs to graduate.

• Like 1

Open Tent Academy:

Banned and Burned: Banned Worthy Books

1 semester

Creative Writing: Strengthening the Young Writer's Voice

1 semester

Introduction to High School Literary Analysis

Full year

Perspectives: Combining Middle School Short Stories with IEW Writing

1 semester, Session 1 and/2.

Tales from Tolkien: A Study of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

1 semester

Creative Story Writing

1 semester

American Literature High School Level Literary Analysis, Writing and More!

Full year

http://www.opententacademy.com/courses/

WTMA:

CREATIVE WRITING FOR THE RHETORIC STAGE I

1 semester

CREATIVE WRITING FOR THE RHETORIC STAGE II

1 semester

LITERATURE OF THE ANCIENT WORLD

Full year

LITERATURE OF THE MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE WORLDS

Full year

LITERATURE OF THE NEW WORLD

Full year

LITERATURE OF THE EARLY MODERN WORLD

Full year

http://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/

• Like 1

My dd took WTMA's Creative Writing for Rhetoric Stage 1 with Mr. Hummel this past fall. She loved it. I wasn't too sure about a creative writing class, and I wasn't too sure about the "workshop" approach, but my dd loves writing so we gave it a try. I thought it was very well done--some interesting/fun assignments, but not silly or anything goes. Mr. Hummel was a great instructor. 

My dd wanted to continue with the second semester, but the class time for the second semester was different and conflicted with her yearlong Chem class.  (I did suggest to WTMA that they change the schedule for next year, so that classes that can be taken for two semesters keep the same time slot from one semester to the next to allow students to continue with the class, if they want.)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Aim Academy's Creative Writing (https://debrabell.com/product/creative-writing/) with Mrs. Serbicki has been an amazing class for my daughter this year. The course covers short story, poetry, and plays. There are reading assignments, discussion questions, recorded lectures, and a live class every other week. Students write quite a few original short stories, some poetry, and a scene of a play. Rough drafts of creative writing assignments receive detailed, thorough, and very helpful feedback from the teacher. After time to make revisions, final drafts receive a grade. My daughter has grown as a writer and now has an amazing portfolio of original work.