Menu

Books With Certain EA, AI, IE, OA

goldenecho

I am looking for some picture books that contain a lot of words with these letter combos (and pronunciations)...it can be a different book for each sound or a book that contains all. I'm looking for real books with real plots or interesting non-fiction books, not readers designed specifically to teach those sounds (I want to say "living books" but honestly, twaddle is fine...I just want it to be something fun). Things I might find at my library. Poems with these sounds dominating would be great too.

ea = long e
ai - long a
ie = long i
oa = long o

When my kids were in that stage, I used to go to the library and just pull books off and pick things. I'd pull literally a hundred easy readers and glance at them sometimes. There are just so many of them. I've rarely seen a juvenile section at the library that doesn't have them all set aside. In our library system, they have shelves of the ones that endure - the Frog and Toads, Elephant and Piggies, TOON books, Amelia Bedelia, Poppleton, etc. etc. in hardback. But they also all have bins of the paperback ones - sometimes three or four bins of them all mixed together.

Basically, I think you should just head to the library and pull easy readers until you have a selection that's at the right level.

You can find readers that are geared toward specific letter combos like that, but they tend to be part of a set of books and you're hoping to find "real" books. You'll get stuff with them mixed in, but I don't know how else you'd find much.

• Like 1