Menu

Switching from Rod & Staff Math

Lisamary44

Hi,

We are using Rod & Staff Math which we love, however, it seems they don't offer HS math for some reason.  Does anyone know of a math programme either on-line or text book style that is similar in method that does offer math in HS?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa.

Hi,

We are using Rod & Staff Math which we love, however, it seems they don't offer HS math for some reason.  Does anyone know of a math programme either on-line or text book style that is similar in method that does offer math in HS?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa.

Rod and Staff Publishers is a company owned by Mennonites. They don't need higher maths, which is why their basic maths are so excellent. :-)

I have read comments from many people who said their children went from R&S's Applying Mathematics (eighth) to any publisher's algebra and were well prepared.

You could have your children take Saxon's placement test. Saxon is excellent.

So my oldest finished Rod and Staff. We love it. Can't say enough good about it. We went to Lial's because I thought a textbook approach that showed the work in it similarly to how R&S did it would work for her. We tried it that way. She would read through, work problems, look at objectives, I would check in with her. She would seem to do well, then when we would check the next day or a couple of lessons later, she wasn't doing so well. I would sit with her again, reteach the old, she would go through it again, and do better. It just seemed to take us twice through every chapter with Lial's. I don't think it was anything to do with how the material was presented. It was orderly, well laid out, and easy to follow.  I don't know what it was. So this year we switched to a video program for geometry that shows her the video and walks her through taking notes and formulas on her printouts (just like I was doing from her textbook,) and she is flying with it. Then when we began reviewing algebra and getting ready for her PSAT10 we went to Kahn Academy's SAT practice site which provides a video after you miss a problem, not before.  And she felt pretty good about the math on her PSAT10 after she took it. So don't discount going to something completely different than R&S. I would have thought we could stick with a straight textbook approach too, but we seem to be doing better with videos, even though that means she doesn't have a textbook to go back and look at practice problems like she did with R&S .   You should be able to switch to anything and see how it works for your family. You will be well prepared after R&S for algebra. Don't stress an exact replica program. 

• Like 2