Menu

bamboo flooring in the kitchen?

I think we've already talked about this, but that was before I noticed Costco has bamboo flooring for about $2/square foot. It's not sustainably harvested, and not the super high quality that I've seen in "real" flooring places, but it would sure beat the torn up, stained 20-year-old vinyl in my kitchen.

Oh hive, send wisdom....

We decided against it because it's just too soft for the amount of traffic in our kitchen. It would have been ruined in no time. We went with hardwood.

Ria

Nuts. We don't have nearly as many bodies in our house as you do, but still. I want this floor to last until I'm dead. (How's that for practical?)

We replaced our nasty kitchen vinyl with Trafficmaster peel & stick tiles from Home Depot. They have something like a 20 or 25 year warranty on them, and when we got ours (3 years ago) they were 99 cents/square foot.

When our carpet started getting equally nasty and we were still equally poor :001_smile:, we pulled it up all through the house and replaced it with Novalis vinyl plank flooring from Lowes. I think it was just over $1.00 per square foot.

Both of these are holding up really well. Yes, they are plastic. No, I wouldn't do them in a house that we were about to sell because I'm not sure fake wood and stone would do anything for the property values. But they're realistic enough to look good (most people who haven't been told think our floors are wood), they clean up well, and we were able to get the allergy-laden carpet out of here without going broke.

Bamboo is not a good idea for wetter areas. We put in bamboo flooring in our living area and hall. We're happy with it over all, that is until the fish tank leaked! Gasp! It doesn't look bad but is warped a bit. I wouldn't recommend it for kitchens or baths. How about laminate flooring? We have a huge kitchen currently with vinyl squares (think peel and stick). Now that our kids are out of the constant falling stage we'll probable do ceramic tile or slate in the next year or so.