Menu

Question about MFW Rome to Reformation

TCoppock

This is going to be my first year with MFW. We have been using SOTW Vol. 1 and just completed it yesterday. :hurray: My question is, should I start in the beginning with history or should I skip to around Week 13 and start from where we left off. It appears that the first quarter of MFW RTR is review of what we have already covered. Any ideas? Do the other lessons (science, bible, art, etc.) correlate that closely with the history lessons?

We have not used RTR as yet but I would start at the beginning and use those weeks as a review. I wouldn't like to miss any activities that may be scheduled in those weeks. I know the composer studies don't necessarily correspond to the period of history but hopefully other RTR users can give more info regarding the science. However, I know that the Bible and Art activities DO but you can also check here.

I forgot that there's a yahoo group specifically for users of RTR here. It may be helpful also.

There is a main MFW Families yahoo group and there are subdivided groups for those using MFW ECC, MFW CTG, MFW RTR, etc.

Edited by sweetbaby
My Father's World

May I offer a different perspective than Christina's? :) We are on week 24 of RTR. We have been using MFW for 6 years, and this has been my favorite year. I would not skip the beginning, even though you feel you might have covered some of it. You could look through the history readings to see if some things duplicate, but Marie Hazell has an amazing ability to coordinate things to make them so meaningful...I can now picture in my mind so many things from the Bible that I have read about since I was a child, and my children have a fantastic understanding of that time period in history. Everything is tied together in Bible, history, art, some science, copywork, dictation, EFTRU, and the way the read alouds are tied in make it so awesome. Just my .02 :)

Glenna

May I offer a different perspective than Christina's? :) We are on week 24 of RTR. We have been using MFW for 6 years, and this has been my favorite year. I would not skip the beginning, even though you feel you might have covered some of it. You could look through the history readings to see if some things duplicate, but Marie Hazell has an amazing ability to coordinate things to make them so meaningful...I can now picture in my mind so many things from the Bible that I have read about since I was a child, and my children have a fantastic understanding of that time period in history. Everything is tied together in Bible, history, art, some science, copywork, dictation, EFTRU, and the way the read alouds are tied in make it so awesome. Just my .02 :)

Glenna

Agreeing with Glenna. We did RTR last year, and I'm sooooo glad for what we learned during those first 10 weeks (Ancient Rome). As Glenna mentioned, Marie ties the events of the Bible and Jesus' birth together with what was going on in Rome and with Caesar and the other leaders of the time so well... she really shows us the Big Picture there. Also, the scheduled read-aloud for that time period is The Bronze Bow, and the Bible readings.... well, they all mesh together SO well. Augustus Caesar's World is a good read, as well.

If you get started with it and feel that you're duplicating too much, then feel free to tweak as desired. But my recommendation is that you go into it with an open mind and see what's there before dismissing it. ;)

I'm not sure I'd lean toward starting with week 14 if the criteria is based on having done SOTW vol 1 unless that volume includes a lot of the Biblical history and New Testament history during the Rome study. I would start at the beginning to make sure that is covered. (I haven't read volume 1 of SOTW, so I'd not really sure about that from personal experience.)

If you have to scale back a bit on the Roman history because it is review, that's ok. You'll still have other things to do and even the schedule for learning Latin roots starts in week 1. First semester science goes from about week 1 until week 18 or so, then a 2 week study on facts of life. So it's probably not the best path to plan to start at week 13/14 or close enough just because of reading through SOTW vol 1.

You can condense a few weeks here and there if needed for roman history especially if it begins to get you bogged down.

But if part of your draw to using MFW has to do with Biblical history and interweaving of it with other history, then don't skip out completely by starting at week 14. And of course as you progress through the material if you feel you have covered it, then condense a little if needed.

-crystal