Menu

Online history suggestions for Catholic?

Well, not rigorous sounds like Homeschool Connections. The other Catholic providers would be Kolbe, Mother of Divine Grace, Seton, St Thomas Aquinas Academy, Catholic Heritage Curricula, etc. But, only a few of those have online classes and most would be rigorous, Great-Books-y, or Classical in nature.

Here's a list of some of the Catholic providers of homeschooling materials. . . 

Memoria Press would probably present a Christian worldview, but their online classes seem mostly secular, so I don't know if that would fit what you want.

• Like 1

I'm not sure this would work, but I'll post it here so you have an option (for World History) -

http://www.rasonlineacademy.com/store/#!/Great-Books-&-Socratic-Discussion/c/8803471/offset=0&sort=normal

It's through Schola Rosa, which runs on a 3 year history cycle and is 100% Catholic. They have a mix of live classes, independent study, and co-op. The link above is to the live classes for their history/literature program, called Traditio Nostra. 

My son did two years of this through a co-op. It was "okay" ... I dropped out of the co-op because I grew frustrated with other aspects of the Schola Rosa program, but it absolutely met my more immediate need of outsourcing history for a challenging child. So I don't regret using it, but once my child became human again enough to where we could work together, we moved on to greener pastures. 

I find the website a bit confusing, but if you poke around some you'll be able to find a list of what is included in the Traditio Nostra class. There is an Intermediate Level (7-9th grade) and an Advanced Level (10th-12th grade) and it's straightforward - read excerpt of primary source, answer questions, attend online lecture. 

I tried Homeschool Connections. I'm a fan of the program, but I did the cheaper $300/recorded version and my son lacked the self-discipline to keep up with the classes. He did fine in the one live class I registered him for. I plan to re-visit HC with my next student, who is more disciplined, once she hits high school. My son loved Phillip Campbell's classes, and often watched the lectures (in between Youtube sessions  :glare: ) ... even classes he wasn't officially taking (for credit by me) ... he just didn't do the work, even when I paid for instructor grading. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone.  I appreciate the suggestions.  RootAnn, I agree that Homeschool Connections is probably going to be my best bet, especially if it is a live class.  My son benefits from interaction.  Rosika, I did check out the Rolling Acres Tradito Nosta program but it states it is a Literature/Socratic discussion class, not a history class.   It looks like they do give the students access to an optional independent study course on ancient history, but that would be more credits/coursework than I am looking for at this point. I just need 1 history credit that is not too classical or super rigorous, but with a Catholic worldview.

I've given my opinion on the live HC math class my dd#1 took last year & the owner/starter of HC posted on the thread right after me (without saying she's who she is) and then had the teacher start an account here to rebut my post.

What I'll say is that the people I know in real life who use HC live & recorded are not the most rigorous homeschoolers out there. I will also say that the one teacher / one class that my DD#1 took live was not great. I have one kid watching recorded classes right now (going through over a year's worth in what will probably end up being less than a semester since she can watch the lecture one day, do the homework the next, then move onto the next "week's" lesson the following day) for a different subject.

I hope you don’t mind a wee hijack, but do you think Homeschool Connections is not rigorous because of the live class requirements or because the lectures themselves are watered down? I’ve been eyeing the recorded subscription option for high school, thinking of using their lectures as a spine.

I think that their rigor depends on the teacher & how you use the class(es). I've heard great things about some of the teachers, but haven't seen it myself with any of the live (1 class) or recorded classes we've experienced yet. But, sometimes you aren't looking for rigorous. Sometimes you are looking for passion from a teacher. Sometimes you are just looking to check a box. Sometimes you are looking for a specific class that very few places offer. We've had all those needs previously. So, HC meets a need & at a good price (esp. recorded!).

I'd take the offer of the $1 trial and watch some lectures & check out the classes yourself. The one price recorded option is great for trying out a bunch of things. It is like a Catholic [...] Courses on demand subscription. (Think "The Great Courses" )