Menu

What's dyslexia and what's normal for an almost-7 year old?

You can google for lists of retained reflexes and their tests. You can do the tests yourself using youtube videos or find an OT who has some training. Many won't, so it's finding an OT who actually does have some training in them. We ended up using a PT finally. Pyramid of Potential has a list of common retained reflexes and sells a video to work on them. 

Yes, there really can be this much of a runaround with getting help.

ELLA | Emerging Literacy & Language Assessment | Product Info  There's some info for you on the ELLA. 

CTOPP-2 | Comprehensive Test of Phonological Processing - Second Edition | Product Info  And here's info about the CTOPP. 

Usually when psychs or reading tutors do the CTOPP, they're pairing it with other tests. The ELLA is combining more of those things (language screening tool, reading comprehension, etc.) into one tool. It would give you some broad info and then you could decide what your next move is.

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2018 at 8:57 PM, zeben said:

Have you gotten the results yet? Is it dyslexia?

They ended up giving her a "mild dyslexia" diagnosis. The SLP said that most professionals probably would not have given her that diagnosis, when her phonological processing scores were "only" in the low-average range. But she also said that, in the context of a child with low working memory, but very high scores in most other areas, it's the rather large gap between the majority of her scores and her phonological processing scores (three standard deviations in the standard scores) that merit her a dyslexia diagnosis, in the opinion of the SLP. A few of her subtest scores were as low as the 9th or 16th percentile, which the SLP said just doesn't line up with a kid who is scoring in the 99.5th percentile in other areas. Uneven development is one thing, but this is beyond the scope of what one would normally expect to see in a child's range, she said. I'm not sure I fully understand this, but so it is.

On the bright side, apparently the mom of a girl I've been mentoring is certified in educational therapy and dyslexia therapy and is trained in OG stuff, amongst other things, and has offered to tutor dd twice a week at no charge, just as a way to bless our family. It was a very unexpected turn of events for us, but will be so good for dd, I think! She's one who really benefits from working with someone who's not "mom"... lol.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 4KookieKids said:

On the bright side, apparently the mom of a girl I've been mentoring is certified in educational therapy and dyslexia therapy and is trained in OG stuff, amongst other things, and has offered to tutor dd twice a week at no charge, just as a way to bless our family. It was a very unexpected turn of events for us, but will be so good for dd, I think! She's one who really benefits from working with someone who's not "mom"... lol.

What an amazing opportunity!

• Like 1

My ds' dyslexia diagnosis was like that, on the basis of discrepancy. Technically the DSM no longer likes that, but it used to be diagnosed that way, blah blah. For him, going all the way to solid OG stuff (we went Barton, love your tutor opportunity) was ABSOLUTELY the way to go. He needed that more detailed help, but once he got it he became a really solid reader. Make sure she does RAN/RAS work. You should have that in your CTOPP scores, so you can see if the RAN/RAS was low. 

The other interesting thing is that when I did genetics, I found ds did in fact have a gene for the phonological processing defect of dyslexia. It's just that there were 12 genes the study was looking at and he only was flagging one of the genes. So it's not rocket science to say sure, some kids have like 4 or 5 or 6 or lots of those genes (more severe dyslexia, let's say) and some have one. Still going right to OG was the way to go.

And that's really exciting that someone is going to bless you with tutoring for free! As long as she gives you lists to drill for fluency or homework for your off days, should be great. Awesome!

• Like 1

So the scores are odd. She did so relatively well (well within the normal limits) on the rapid naming, but very poorly in the sections on phonological awareness and nonword decoding.... This child is always throwing me for loops! lol. 

She wrote "symbolic dysfunction" on the report, and I had to ask what that meant because I thought she'd told me she was going to dx dyslexia. She responded that it's just the "technical" term for a number of language based stuff, that includes dyslexia, but is the appropriate billable term, since "dyslexia" is sometimes contested by insurance companies.