Menu

5th grader struggling with multidigit multiplication and long division

I've been working on long division and multidigit multiplication with my son for a couple of years and he just cannot understand the standard algorithms. He has great mental math skills but has some sort of mind block when it comes to these topics.

We used CLE for grades 2-4 and then switched to Beast. Beast teaches these things in a different way and that has helped some, but testing has shown me that he's really lost ground on other areas of math this year. I'm planning to go back to CLE for the spiral factor but in the meantime, I need to remediate multiplication and division because he's way below level on these areas.

Any suggestions for supplemental resources that might help?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

You might consider using lattice method for multiplication and partial quotient division for long division.  I suggest you watch some youtube videos and practice both methods yourself first.  They may seem time consuming and confusing and clunky since they are not methods many are used to but they were absolute game changers here.  Try them out, even if you really do not like them, get good at them (shouldn't take long at all if you put in the effort and practice a bit) then teach them to your child.  See if that helps unlock things.

Also, FWIW, my kiddos did better with CLE as a spine and Beast as a supplement.  We also use CTC for independent reinforcing lessons they can do on their own and through our academic breaks.  It gives access to all levels of math from Kindergarten through Calculus so a student can move forward or backward in any particular skill/concept as far as they need/want to.  I got it on sale through Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op.  

Hopefully others will have some good suggestions.

Good luck.

• Like 1

FWIW, my kiddos did better with CLE as a spine and Beast as a supplement

I'm finding the same thing. As much as I love Beast, my kids need the consistent spiral of CLE. 

We're using the Beast method for multiplication right now and that's helping. Haven't even started division but I'll look into the partial quotient method. 

Thanks for your feedback. :)

• Like 1