Menu

Saxon 5/4 question

PentecostalMom

One of my dc is doing well in Saxon 5/4. She can do the lessons just fine, but hit a wall with the facts practice when she reached division. Should I stop and drill her on facts? She is not solid on multiplication facts and I don’t want her to get lost, however, not doing the actual lessons does not appeal to me. Thoughts and suggestions?

I do not understand. Is she missing questions in the lessons and practice because of math facts?

If your student is doing well in math lessons with Saxon, but not doing well on drill sheets then I would deviate from HOW we do drill.

I would focus on learning maybe 3 or 4 math facts at a time and doing drills on just those, using both multiplication and division.

Edited by elmerRex

I wouldn't worry about it as long as she understands that division is the inverse of multiplication. For the actual problem set in the lessons, I give my kids a multiplication table to glance at until they have it more fluid fact recall. (They do not get the "cheat sheet" for tests.). I've had two work through 54 now with no issues.

• Like 1

One of my dc is doing well in Saxon 5/4. She can do the lessons just fine, but hit a wall with the facts practice when she reached division. Should I stop and drill her on facts? She is not solid on multiplication facts and I don’t want her to get lost, however, not doing the actual lessons does not appeal to me. Thoughts and suggestions?

But the drill is just...drill. As long as she does all of the problems in all of the lessons, and you do the drills as indicated in each lesson, she'll be fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alternatives: 

This is a video of the Sixty-Second Sweep.

With the Saxon drills, to keep from frustrating the child, an alternative way to use those fact sheets is to give the child a time limit (that will be below the frustration threshhold) and mark the page however far s/he gets.  Keep track of how many were answered in that time.  The next day, continue the same sheet, marking how many correct in the time allotted.  When that sheet is finished, the next day, give that sheet again.  This time through, hopefully you will see improvement, and you have been charting it so the child sees the improvement.  (This idea came from the Robinson Curriculum website.)