Menu

Washing dog toys

Night Elf

My dog has several stuffed animal toys that have squeakers inside. He usually plays with one when it's brand new and then it loses its appeal. He occasionally goes back to one and plays but it's happening rarely now. I was thinking maybe I could wash them and see if they appeal to him again. Can I put these in the washer? I don't think I should use detergent though because he'll be chewing them. What do you think? I can't keep buying him toys so he can get one hour of play and then lose interest.

If you remember the brand, can you google it to see if you find washing instructions?

Maybe he'd like one of those kong toys that rewards the dog for play by releasing kibble from time to time.  

Only the newest one has a tag and it says it's surface washable. The others I bought at the grocery store or a big pet store. They're furry with hair, like one is a squirrel with hair and one is a raccoon with hair. A couple of them lost their squeakers already but the toys themselves have held up.

I wash stuffed dog toys all the time. Usually I do a separate load using a small amount of detergent and vinegar in the rinse (and maybe an extra rinse cycle, depending on my mood) and either air dry or machine dry on low heat. Occasionally washing will ruin a squeaker, but that's pretty rare. And sometimes a toy will accidentally get thrown in with a regular load and almost always comes out just fine.