Menu

accountable kids - feedback on the program?

EmilyGF

Hi all,

If you've used this before, did you do it with all your kids or only those who needed support? 

I'm planning on doing Flylady for myself and am considering accountable kids for one or two of my kids (the ones who need more accountability) and I'm thinking of whether to include those who generally are doing alright with chores etc. What do you think?

Thanks,

Emily

We used it briefly.  It didn't stick around in our house because it gets a bit more involved than what I was willing to do.  What worked better for us was a simple pocket system - one pocket for each day of the week and one for finished work.  I cut strips for each job depending on the frequency (like, 'make bed' had 6 strips, 'take sheets to laundry' had 1), and together we put them in the 7 days' pockets.  He was welcome to move them around (if he didn't have a chance to vacuum on Tuesday, he could move it to Weds), but I could go through each morning and collect the 'done' strips, check the work, and call it good.  We re-set it up weekly.

Accountable Kids required me to set it up daily, and then there were stickers and prizes and...meh.  It was too much effort.

• Like 2

I am in week 2 of restarting it with my boys (4 weeks are needed for full implementation). So far is is going really well. I last did it with my older son 1 month prior to having my younger son. It went well then. I am doing it with all of my kids and got an extra board for when we have a placement as we do fostering. 

I have used it so that my 9 year old now does all the swishing and swiping everyday. He isn't perfect, but I am not looking for that, I am just wanting him to clean the bathrooms everyday and gradually I will get him to hit the spots that he misses now (3 boys in the house with DH, the toilet is sometimes just a suggestion :laugh: ). Next week I am going to incorporate homeschooling into it and have ODS have certain subjects that he has to do in the morning (the hard ones for him) as part of his morning chores. The other subjects he can do whenever before his night time chores kick in. 

I will not lie, it hasn't been easy this week with Christmas, but, we are still doing well. There is a bit of effort involved but it isn't too bad. If you are unsure about the program, I suggest you get the book and go from there. You can do the program without all the stuff, but you can't do it without the book IMHO. 

I did try to do something like AK before I got the program way back when. It didn't work. The book gives you the tools you need to make sure it works for your family. Without the book you can do something like it, but if you run into road blocks it may be difficult to continue. 

• Like 1

I have tried it a couple of times. I think it is one of those things that once everyone is in the routine of using it, it is great.... but I had trouble keeping up with the tickets. And you nedd to make sure they aren't doing a 'ticket activity' without a ticket.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'm going to start Flylady for me at the beginning of January (or as soon as I recover from our visitors who just left) and then wait on Accountable Kids until February. We already have some attitude issues we are making a game plan for, so going step-by-step might be easier, anyways.

Emily