Menu

After BA5

Airykah109

-Cross-posted in AL board-

DD10 is doing BA5 this year at home, and is also enrolled in Saxon 8/7 at co-op. (Saxon isn’t her favorite, but it’s the program they use.) She is doing fine in both. If we continue with this co-op next year, she will be doing Algebra 1 with Saxon and....not sure what at home? She is bright in math, definitely accelerated, but I wouldn’t say highly gifted. I have AoPS pre-algebra on the shelf, so it’s a possibility. Would Dolciani pre-algebra be a good fit after finishing BA5? Or should we skip to an Algebra program, possibly Foerster or Jacobs?

We completed BA5 and didn't like AoPS pre-algebra. I did a complete mis-mash of pre-algebra as a result and kinda regret bothering (in 6th) because not a lot was new. Then we completed Foerster's in 7th, and we both just missed BA, and I just didn't feel like she got the same conceptual richness from Foersters. Since, we were working ahead still, we tried AoPS algebra this year, and she loves it and is thriving. I don't know what it was about the pre-algebra book.

I actually probably spent more of our pre-algebra year doing living math things like games (dice and card games), manipulatives (like algebra tiles and algeblocks and even cuisenaire rods still), books like the math ones from Isaac Asimov and even the ones from Danica McKeller. So, I guess we did a lot of fun meandering that year which ended up being a good use of time after all.

We had MM 7, Dolciani (pre- and algebra), Jacobs, Lial's, Arbor Text (Jousting Armadillos and the other books)... honestly everything and I guess we probably ended up using Dolciani the most for pre-algebra out of it all.

I'm probably no help except to say that we were in a very similar position at one point (and actually BA 5 wasn't done at that point so we were just continuing with them as they released.)

We have gone straight to AOPS preA. There's some overlap/review of things introduced in BA but with greater depth and additional info. AoPS preA is a lot *more* than other PreA programs. I wouldn't skip it.

This. The placement tests online do not give a good idea of the depth and difficulty of the pre-A program. It's worth it

I think we’ve decided to go with AoPS pre-algebra with WTMA in the fall. DD is doing Expository 1 with them this year and really likes their platform, so she’ll likely do Expo 2 and pre-al next year. This gives us the problem of having a few months in between finishing BA5 and beginning pre-al. Maybe we’ll take a a break and do some fun number theory stuff in between?