Menu

Book Club for 3rdish graders

spaceman

I have a few ideas, but a lot depends on how often you are meeting and if chapter books are ok.

1. There is a book series called picture perfect science lessons. Basically, this is pretty open and go. The book provides a picture book title, generally 2 per lesson. Then there are questions and hands on activities that pertains to the book.

2. There is something called five in a row. Just google five in a row for their website for more information.

3. There is a book titled Suppose the wolf were an octopus by royal fireowrks press. This provides a list of questions for chapter books based on bloom's taxonomy method. Book titles are provided along witht the questions.

4. There is something called litwits. Google litwits in santa cruz for more info. But they provide kits to go along with good literature books. It's a fun, hands on type of book club.

Hth. Have fun. :)

I have a few ideas, but a lot depends on how often you are meeting and if chapter books are ok.

1. There is a book series called picture perfect science lessons. Basically, this is pretty open and go. The book provides a picture book title, generally 2 per lesson. Then there are questions and hands on activities that pertains to the book.

2. There is something called five in a row. Just google five in a row for their website for more information.

3. There is a book titled Suppose the wolf were an octopus by royal fireowrks press. This provides a list of questions for chapter books based on bloom's taxonomy method. Book titles are provided along witht the questions.

4. There is something called litwits. Google litwits in santa cruz for more info. But they provide kits to go along with good literature books. It's a fun, hands on type of book club.

Hth. Have fun. :)

Thanks! I'll check out litwits first.

I was thinking weekly and chapter books.

My son attends a themed book club meant for 2nd-5th graders.

The children are responsible for reading the monthly book on their own.  When they get to book club, they take their notebooks (kept by the leader) and draw/write after discussing the book.  Then they do activities like a nature hike or comparing prints or whatnot.

For starting from scratch, I would use Litwits, Homeschool Share, or Moving Beyond The Page as a jumping off point.  Use the questions to discuss, but then spend the time doing activities that go along with it.

For example, if, say, we did Mr. Popper's Penguins, I'd set up activities like this:

-listening to a dramatized radio program of an expedition

-creating a list of penguin attributes described in the book and then have the kids hunt through pictures of penguins to find one that matches the description.

-the "notebook" portion being 12 pages and a map - one for each month so they can follow the story and the map to track the traveling show.

My goal would be to maximize the time we have there by doing things together - making the reading portion homework.