Menu

Can MUS be used independently?

Bess

I'm wondering if my 11 year old could use MUS independently using the videos. He currently does Saxon, but he is not a math person, and I think he could use something that is more visual. to truly understand the concepts for real life. He has been doing Saxon pretty independent (along with little helps here and there from his math brained father). Anyway, would MUS fit the bill?

Thanks.

It can, until the child requires further explanation. We hit a snag this year with Epsilon, because I learned fractions a different way. So I could not help my daughter with Mr. Demme's method. I tried to teach her the way I knew how, ending up confusing her, and now we have switched to Rod & Staff. I think, even if you want them to be independent, you somehow have to keep up with what they are learning, and how they are being instructed, so as to be able to offer help when needed.

I think it depends on the child. My oldest seemed to be able to use it alone for the most part (we only used Epsilon and Zeta with him). My #2 often needs my assistance until he grasps the concept (Beta and now Delta for him). #3 needs my help most of the time (Alpha and now Beta).

I think #3 may eventually be able to work with it independently when she gets to the higher levels, but to for now.

~Staci

Very similar to Staci.

While we watched the videos together, DS rarely needed any additional help/explanation from me. If you at all can, I do recommend watching the videos together, just so you will be "caught up" in case you do need to provide a little extra help. The videos are only 2-5 minutes long, and you only do 1 per week. :001_smile:

Warmly, Lori D.

I'm comfortable with almost any math curriculum, but I need to move to something that DH could potentially supervise while I'm at work without having to learn and teach too much. Watching the DVD with my DS and then checking his work is doable for both of them. I'm guessing that my oldest can probably watch it on his own and go from there, but having the DVD available for DH to watch if necessary is a plus (especially because they're short lectures).