Menu

Gift for lady diagnosed with breast cancer

Calizzy

A wife of DH's colleague was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.  I would like to bring her a little gift basket and I'm looking for some ideas of what to put in it. We've chatted a few times at functions, but I don't actually know her that well. I know that she is a Christian, she homeschools her 2 early elementary kids, and her and her husband are musicians. I was thinking of giving some stickerbooks for the kids- give her kids something to do if she needs a little break. What else would you put?

I was very particular about the hats I wore...I hardly ever wore what someone else bought me. I did enjoy the scarves I was given because I could wear them around my neck--always cold. I wanted warm and soft, not slick or scratchy. ;)

If she is doing chemo and all the work...

...gift cards for dinner for the family. Pizza works great. 

Unscented lotion. Satin Hands from Mary Kay is good. In addition, Aquaphore is excellent. 

Ginger tea or candied ginger. 

Book or movie gift cards (Amazon or Netflix) 

Coupon for a house cleaning and or child care

Fuzzy 'spa' socks for wearing at home

Uplifting and Funny books like She Who Laughs, Lasts

If you and she are Christians, a selection of Bible verses concerning healing is good. Print out a list on paper. 

The most wonderful gifts I was given were not really ones that could be wrapped up--cheerful steady consistent support. Text, email, or mail -- just a simple 'thinking of you' is good. Even if you are not close, a card every so often is good. 

• Like 2

I was very particular about the hats I wore...I hardly ever wore what someone else bought me. I did enjoy the scarves I was given because I could wear them around my neck--always cold. I wanted warm and soft, not slick or scratchy. ;)

Sorry, I should have pointed out that the link I posted are hats made specifically for chemo patients and there are scarves available, too (I think).  There are also gift cards for the shop.

All of your ideas are great, though.  I'm sorry you had to go through chemo.

Edited by Kassia

If she is doing chemo and all the work...

...gift cards for dinner for the family. Pizza works great. 

Unscented lotion. Satin Hands from Mary Kay is good. In addition, Aquaphore is excellent. 

Ginger tea or candied ginger. 

Book or movie gift cards (Amazon or Netflix) 

Coupon for a house cleaning and or child care

Fuzzy 'spa' socks for wearing at home

Uplifting and Funny books like She Who Laughs, Lasts

If you and she are Christians, a selection of Bible verses concerning healing is good. Print out a list on paper. 

The most wonderful gifts I was given were not really ones that could be wrapped up--cheerful steady consistent support. Text, email, or mail -- just a simple 'thinking of you' is good. Even if you are not close, a card every so often is good. 

:iagree:   BC survivor here.  I agree on the gift card ideas, and fuzzy socks (nice for MRI,s, chemo, and home) . In addition to Happy's gift ideas, you might consider one for groceries, or a place like Walmart or Target that sells groceries and other stuff. Money will be short, even with good insurance. 

I would not advise the hat for two reasons: 1) many women are very sensitive about losing their hair. And she doesn't have to deal with that yet. And, hats are personal. People look good in different styles. I would leave that to a close friend. 

I like your idea of stuff for the kids to do. 

• Like 1