Menu

What is the Henle sequence?

The pace depends largely on the age of the student. For middle school kids, the MP guide is fine, but I would not consider only two units of Henle I to be equal to a full year of high school Latin. I'd aim to get through at least Unit 5 in the first year if you're looking at high school credit.

The pace depends largely on the age of the student. For middle school kids, the MP guide is fine, but I would not consider only two units of Henle I to be equal to a full year of high school Latin. I'd aim to get through at least Unit 5 in the first year if you're looking at high school credit.

due to my own physical problems this year, Latin has sometimes gotten pushed aside. We are on Week 9 of the MODG syllabus that covers Units 1-7. I have been feeling *very* guilty about this, as I know the last thing my ds wants to do over the summer is Latin - LOL.

So, your post is very encouraging. But I'm curious - if you had a student who had only completed through Unit 5, what would you plan for the following year?

I pulled out the MODG syllabus, and it looks like - if we can make it through Unit 5, which seems doable - that next year (ds will be in 9th) we could do their Latin I essential. That would review what we've done this year (which might be boring), but it would get us through the rest of First Year Latin by the end of 9th grade. And, that would qualify as Latin II on a transcript, right?

Or, would you just pick up with Unit 6 (I could still use MODG) and continue on to ????

Thank you so much!

Rhonda

I pulled out the MODG syllabus, and it looks like - if we can make it through Unit 5, which seems doable - that next year (ds will be in 9th) we could do their Latin I essential. That would review what we've done this year (which might be boring), but it would get us through the rest of First Year Latin by the end of 9th grade. And, that would qualify as Latin II on a transcript, right?

Yes. This option sounds better to me. I wouldn't worry about the review - there's never any harm in reviewing Latin grammar! :)

Yes. This option sounds better to me. I wouldn't worry about the review - there's never any harm in reviewing Latin grammar! :)

Got any advice for me, Plaid Dad? I have two dtrs in high school Latin. A 9th grader and an 11th grader doing the MP guide to Henle Latin, (they are currently doing Units 3-5, yr 2). THey are attending a co op with a fabulous Latin teacher and are also taking Spanish YR 2. Prior to these 2 yrs of Henle, they finished LC 1 & 2. The Latin teacher has taken the girls deeper into Latin thru the Henle but 60-70% of it so far has been review of LC II. (IOW, I know we've ended up with a lot of review (like your post above) but the girls have an extremely good grasp of grammar and Latin thus far.)

11g dtr is int in a career as a translator or nurse; gr9 dtr is int in biology. Even *if* I had realized in advance that Henle yr 1 was so much review of LC, I would have *stayed the course* because the only Henle classes available incl such a great teacher and the MP pace. The trade off was more then worth it (to me) to have this teacher.

It looks like my only option for continuing Henle Latin next year (in the year 2 book I think?) will be doing it independently at home OR online. What would you recommend for next year if we work independently? I would prefer something self-teaching as my dtrs are advanced beyond me thru their better memories and 5-6 hours a week of Latin.

My main goals for Latin (in this order) are:

1) preparation for future foreign language classes

2) understanding the use of Latin in medical terminology

3) deeper understanding of English language grammar

4) appreciation of the influence (Roman history/Latin) has made to our world

5) ability to at least have the "beginning" of translating original Latin writings

One last thought, my oldest would prob. choose one year of French or German if I allowed her. I am leaning toward more Latin as opposed to one year of another language, with Spanish Yr 3 as a likely choice for next year?

Thanks,

LisaJ, sorry so long

Lisa,

I wouldn't consider Henle self-teaching. In fact, at that level, there isn't really anything out there that is truly self-teaching. If you have the opportunity to find an online class, I'd go that route. Otherwise, if you can find a college student who can field questions for a modest hourly rate, that would be better than trying to go it alone. Henle is very thorough, and a strong student can make good headway in it, but I still think access to a teacher or tutor is necessary, at least on an as-needed basis. HTH!

Lisa,

I wouldn't consider Henle self-teaching. In fact, at that level, there isn't really anything out there that is truly self-teaching. If you have the opportunity to find an online class, I'd go that route. Otherwise, if you can find a college student who can field questions for a modest hourly rate, that would be better than trying to go it alone. Henle is very thorough, and a strong student can make good headway in it, but I still think access to a teacher or tutor is necessary, at least on an as-needed basis. HTH!

I appreciate the feedback. And I misspoke - I didn't really mean self-teaching, but rather something I could tutor the girls in and we could do w/o a class/tutor. I wouldn't expect to just turn them loose with it.

Thanks so much, Plaid Dad. We enjoy Latin so much that it is really hard to imagine my high schoolers putting it down after 4-5 years of study :(). But otoh, w/o the co op teacher, our options are less appealing.

Anyone have any advice as to whether I should let my senior start French or

continue with Spanish 3?

Thanks to all

Lisa

Lisaj, mom to 5