Menu

Holt Geometry 2007 scheduling question

Jann or someone else who has done this course. What is a reasonable assignment per day? Two or three of the worksheet pages? We switched to this mid-year, and we like it so far.

We tried timing (work for 55 minutes), but that isn't really working. She keeps "forgetting" to set the timer.

I'm having her work through the chapters she hasn't covered yet using the B pages, problem solving pages and either a C or Challenge page from each section.  I'm just not sure how much she should be able to do most days.

I'm also having her do the definition pages from the Know it Notebook for all of the chapters and the Know it Notebook review section for chapters she covered in the other book.

I discovered that there is a resource workbook in the Teacher One Stop that is all of the "B" (homework) and Problem Solving pages, so it was super easy to print those out. I just looked through the C and Challenge pages to pick which ever looks better from each section. She doesn't mind using the textbook as a reference, so I'm skipping the "A" pages.

Thanks!

I have my students complete the Reteach (extremely valuable) and the Practice B  and Problem solving for most sections. 

I do not assign the C or the Challenge.  Some of those Challenge pages are hard/time intensive and more of an extra without direct benefit... The Problem Solving is the good stuff (multiple choice are ACT/SAT practice questions...

In some lessons I supplement with some of the odds from the text (the ones that match up with the online helps)-- the online problems ARE the same problems as the ones in the text- but there are more problems in the text (that are not online if that makes sense).  Some students choose to watch the Dr Burger videos too...

Total instruction/homework time will vary A LOT depending on the student (if working independently).

The publisher provides way MORE material than is needed or suggested-- this allows the instructor to tailor the class (and even the chapter) to the needs of the student.

Also-- not every section is required-- many times the last section of a chapter is optional...

We cover about 3 lessons per week average (I also make some specific supplemental worksheets depending on the topic and what I want to emphasize).  I make my  own tests up, but will occasionally use parts of one of the pre-made tests (I prefer the B ones that are not multiple choice).  The quizzes are good too-- but I do not use them with my online classes.

• Like 2

I'll pick the C and Challenge problems carefully, then. She likes some of the puzzle-y things but I won't do as many if they are just there to keep a fast worker from disrupting the class. We've done a couple of the Chapter Projects, and she liked those.

Do you think we need the Reteach if she's reading the textbook?

I'll take a look at the last sections as we go through. I like that there are so many paths through this book. It is very adaptable.

The three sections a week sounds like a good guideline.

Thanks!