Menu

101 Hymn Stories or Then Sings My Soul?

Slache

I have Then Sings My Soul, but I think both books are similar. I’d wait on them with your kids’ ages. I used it for a couple years beginning when my kids were K, 3rd, and 5th. The problem is that most of the stories are boring for kids, become repetitive, or focus on subjects that aren’t little kid friendly. It was hard to find selections that I thought they’d care about. If you can, I’d suggest previewing it from the library first. Even at my kids’ ages at the time I think it was a waste of time. They sat politely, nodding and smiling, but I think all they heard was blah, blah, blah. I should give my copy to my MIL; it’s more appropriate for the grandma set.

• Like 1

I have Then Sings My Soul, but I think both books are similar. I’d wait on them with your kids’ ages. I used it for a couple years beginning when my kids were K, 3rd, and 5th. The problem is that most of the stories are boring for kids, become repetitive, or focus on subjects that aren’t little kid friendly. It was hard to find selections that I thought they’d care about. If you can, I’d suggest previewing it from the library first. Even at my kids’ ages at the time I think it was a waste of time. They sat politely, nodding and smiling, but I think all they heard was blah, blah, blah. I should give my copy to my MIL; it’s more appropriate for the grandma set.

OK. I was afraid of that. Thanks for saving me $12. If you want to do it again check this out. It's shorter.

Yes I agree, I have Then Sings and it's juuuuuust okay with my 4th &6th graders.

I think in most cases you'd be better off with a nice biography of the author to read slowly while you take a couple of months to learn the hymn... we tend to do one composer for a while for this reason - Handel for example.

• Like 1

Yes I agree, I have Then Sings and it's juuuuuust okay with my 4th &6th graders.

I think in most cases you'd be better off with a nice biography of the author to read slowly while you take a couple of months to learn the hymn... we tend to do one composer for a while for this reason - Handel for example.

I like this. Thank you.
  • Like 1

The Simply Charlotte Mason hymn resource (the name escapes me now) is the best thing I’ve found for hymn learning. I’ve used Hymns for a Kid’s Heart in the past, but for the length of time it takes to learn a hymn, in my opinion you’re better off just sharing a little about the songwriter’s life and then learning the hymn. In other words, the length of the devotional/biographical info in the books I’ve seen is short enough to read in one sitting while the hymn takes weeks to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Simply Charlotte Mason hymn resource (the name escapes me now) is the best thing I’ve found for hymn learning. I’ve used Hymns for a Kid’s Heart in the past, but for the length of time it takes to learn a hymn, in my opinion you’re better off just sharing a little about the songwriter’s life and then learning the hymn. In other words, the length of the devotional/biographical info in the books I’ve seen is short enough to read in one sitting while the hymn takes weeks to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sample tracks are all under a minute. Are they full length? Because I'll just start now and see if they like it.