Menu

Robinson Crusoe Rant- maybe you should just ignore it

This is my rant/peeve of the day.

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe is not about a man who is stranded on an island and then saved by a native named Friday. So there!

I just keep seeing movie after movie after movie and then abridged books that makes this book seem like what it is not.

It is one of my favorite books. However, it is about a wealthy merchant who is stranded on an island and has to find faith in God and then finds peace with God and himself. It is a book about redemtion (don't you just hate how many books out there are about redemption)

Friday is a silly little island native that doesn't do much and doesn't even show up until the last 1/3 to 1/4 of the book!

I cried in this book.....you don't cry in the movie.

I could post this in curriculum but its more of a rant and not educational related.

This would be good for the teen who has a grasp of the history of trade with South America.

Oh, by the way, I also read Moll Flanders by Defoe, after I read Robinson Crusoe. Holy Moly, I blushed throughout it and had to skip over some pages because it was like a sex expose.

Robinson Crusoe good for kids, Moll Flanders......ummm NO!

Thanks for putting up with my rant......it just ticks me off when Hollywood goes and disinfects a great religious book for a movies sake. Does anyone else feel the same?

Sheryl

ITA!!! I have only seen one very low budget RC, something I got through the library, but Friday had a much bigger, "nobler" role than Defoe intended. Plus, there was no religious content, but that did not surprise me. I really love all of Defoe's books. RC is one of my particular favorites.

The BBC recently had a radio play of The Farther [sic] Adventures of Robinson Crusoe Being the Second and Last Part OF HIS LIFE, And of the Strange Surprizing Accounts of his Travels Round three Parts of the Globe. Written by Himself (the less known follow up to Robinson Crusoe) on the radio and it was very true to its original story of a religious journey. In fact there was quite a bit of wit with Robinson refusing to be distracted from his recounting of his spiritual journey by an acquaintance who wishes him to tell it more as an action packed adventure. It is possible to read the original at Project Gutenburg.

I am reading RC with my 9 yr. old right now. We are going through it very slowly but I am quite surprised how much I am enjoying it. We are only to the part where he is shipwrecked so I don't know too much about the themes yet. I am quite delighted that my dd is able to understand it and enjoy it as much as I am!