Menu

Calligraphy pen

Tea 4 Three

My dd (15yo) wants to learn calligraphy.  Does anyone have suggestions for pens with cartridges that would be appropriate for a beginner? We tried what seemed like a nice set from Hobbly Lobby, but they weren't any good.  She watched a bunch of youtube videos about what to do if you can't get the ink to flow. After trying everything, she gave up and we returned them.

Thanks Ladies!  I knew this was the place to ask.  

She has done the markers and played around with various nibs.  I should have been more specific.  Looking for pens with cartridges that you can switch out various sizes of nibs.

Edited by Tea 4 Three

Thanks Ladies! I knew this was the place to ask.

She has done the markers and played around with various nibs. I should have been more specific. Looking for pens with cartridges that you can switch out various sizes of nibs.

Typically I would get a different pen for each nib size, like the Platinum Preppy cartridge pens...so a separate pen for each nib size instead of changing the nibs out on one pen all the time. So I might have a certain ink in a certain pen with an extra fine nib and at the same time have a different medium nib pen with different ink and I can just use whichever I want at that time. I have some expensive pens but also some very inexpensive pens so it doesn't have to cost a lot. The type of pens that you dip are super easy to change nibs on but these don't take cartridges they are very different overall.

Lol, I don't have one that expensive but there is a difference in some of the more expensive pens. Some have flex in the nibs which is desirable for a certain type of lettering styles, some are more balanced in the hand etc. I have written with some very expensive pens and drooled over some but I'm just too frugal to indulge. Fountain pens have become so popular lately though that they have come out with a lot of high quality lower priced options which is nice because it makes it possible to try out a bunch of styles without spending a fortune.

• Like 1

If I wanted to do artistic work I would get these: google pilot calligraphy pen

If I wanted to have a calligraphic tipnforbeveryday use i would get this in the size I preferred: google lanyard calligraphic pen

I got rid of all my non-Speedball pens in favor of these.