Menu

orthognathic surgery for clefts?

mom@shiloh

I'd like to get some input from others who may have been through this.  My dd has a cleft lip and palate and will need to make a decision about orthognathic surgery in the next year or so.  In case you're curious, this is a surgery that will reposition her upper jaw.  The benefits are numerous:  ;her teeth will fit together instead of the upper ones being behind the lower ones, it could improve her speech and there are obvious cosmetic benefits as well.  If you've been through it or had a child go through it, I'd love to hear about it.  

How old is she?

I have 2 DDs with (now repaired) cleft lips and palates. My older one, age 9 1/2, has a pretty significant underbite. We are hoping that using braces and headgear can help her avoid jaw surgery.

Both of my DDs were adopted from China and their clefts were repaired later, so I'm sure how that effects things.

She is 12 and also adopted from China.  She's done the surgeries and the expanders and the head gear, etc.  She's ready for braces now, but the orthodontist says that while they can straighten her teeth, her bite will not align without surgery.  The cranio/cleft team isn't pushing for surgery, just letting us know the options.  I thought it would be helpful to hear other people's experiences.