Menu

Samsung smart TV techy people - Lanny, others?

sheryl

We have a Samsung LED smart TV.  Dh doesn't remember how old it is but I "think" we bought it in 2013 or 2014.  I believe it was manufactured the same year in which we bought it.

I know there are Samsung "apps".  I'd like to know if I can download apps from NON-Samsung approved apps. 

If this is not possible, I'd like to take this one app that I use on a smaller screen (Kindle Fire, smartphone and this pc) and use the app on our tv screen then - blue tooth?   How can this be done? 

Hope all of this makes sense.  HELP!  Thanks!    :) 

• Like 1

We have a 2014 Samsung smart tv. You can't download from anywhere other than the Samsung app thing. If you have a similar model to ours then you can cast to the tv easily from apps on other devices over Wi-Fi. The tv asks permission the first time from a new device. It requires no other setting up on our tv.

Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 2

OK, that's very helpful.   So, you can not download apps from anywhere but from Samsungs apps. 

When you say "cast" are you saying Bluetooth?  Or, WiFi? 

The tv asks permission one time but no other setting up - right?  It doesn't require a "subscription" or a "fee"?

This is very helpful.  I'll check back for your answer.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I went in for a Consultation with my wife, the "Queen of Remote Controls".  She knows far more about Consumer Electronics than I do. The Samsung SMART TV she uses we think is like yours, from about 2013.  We have 3 Samsung SMART TV sets and we think that is the middle one in age.  She said there is some difference in how the TV set she uses, and the one that DD uses, which is our newest one, work with things like this. The one DD has was probably purchased in 2015?  

We do not think that you can Download non Samsung Apps to your Samsung SMART TV if they are not on the Samsung web site for your TV. , However, we are not positive that cannot be done.  We are in South America and there are a lot of Apps installed on the TV sets we have and available to us. If you are in the USA, there may be many more Apps available to you.

IF your other device is also Samsung, you can tell the other Samsung device to "Share" or "Mirror" to your Samsung SMART TV.  I am the only one in the house still using a Samsung phone (the others have Motorola's and there is one Lenovo now) and my phone (a very low end, 2014 phone),  can work that way, with the Samsung SMART TV sets.

If your other device is not Samsung,  for example my wife has a Motorola phone, I think a Moto G something, she tells it to "Transmitir" (Spanish for Transmit), for example, if she is watching a YouTube Video and it will find the Samsung Smart TV, without any problem, via WiFi.  

We do not use Bluetooth so have no experience with that. WiFi works fine for us.

If it is something in a computer, you can use an HDMI cable to hook up the computer to the Samsung SMART TV.  

Before, when we had horribly slow Internet service from our former ISP, when my wife would try, for example, to watch a Netflix movie on the SMART TV, via WiFi,  there was too little Bandwidth and it was very problematic.  So, she found that she could get the  Netflix movie on her Dell Laptop, where it ran perfectly via WiFi,  and hook it up to the TV set with an HDMI Cable and then view things perfectly on the Samsung Smart TV (audio and video).  Now, with our FTTH (Fiber to the House) Internet service, the WiFi is much faster and more dependable, because we have 50 Mbps service, and the TV set works perfectly with Netflix, on WiFi.

Again, we do not believe one can Download non Samsung Apps from somewhere other than the Samsung site, however, we are not positive about that.  

I hope this helps.

ETA: I assume that other brands, not just Motorola and Lenovo devices, can do something like the "Transmit" on my wife's Motorola Moto G phone.  They may use a different word, instead of "Trasnmit" it might be "Share" or "Mirror" or something else, but you will probably know from the word.  Also, I think my wife said on her Motorola Moto she gets an Icon for a TV set, if she is watching a YouTube video or Netflix movie that she wants ot see on the Samsung SMART TV.  Probably if you press that Icon it connects to the Samsung SMART TV over WiFi rather automatically?

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

Each of the 3 Samsung SMART TV sets we have started out in the Living Room.  My wife said her Motorola phone shows "TV Living Room"  when it finds the TV she is using, via WiFi.  

OT: Sometimes when I look at who/what is on the LAN in our house, I see three (3) TV sets with that same name. "TV Living Room"... Now, none of them are in the Living Room, but their names continue with them.

• Like 1

ok, lanny, thanks for that!   I was hoping to use the "smart" google feature on this tv and using the google browser on our Samsung tv, go to the company and download the app directly on to the tv.  It sounds like that won't happen.  Or, google play store via the google browser on this tv?  If not, then we'll try "matching" or what not the pc to the tv.  Or, would I have to use a Samsung smartphone to pair with the tv. 

Dh and I have Samsung Galaxies and dd has an iPhone.  we have an ipad (old), kindle fire 1 year old, pc and computer (windows) and our Samsung smart tv. 

There is an app I'd like to view on a big screen (tv).  It will be an app we use/watch as a family (not Netflix) and prefer not to view on a small screen (any screen mentioned above that is not our tv). 

i'll forward this info to my dh.  hopefully he'll find the right cable and it will work b/t this windows pc and our Samsung smart tv. 

• Like 1

Cool that you and your DH have Samsung Smart phones.  As I had written above, my wife said that if you have a Samsung phone (as I do)  you can tell the  Samsung phone to "Share" or "Mirror" to your Samsung SMART TV. 

I am NOT going to tell you that you cannot Install the App you want to use, which is not on the Samsung  site for your Samsung TV,  onto your Samsung SMART TV, but we have no experience with that and we doubt it.

This will work fine for you, with the WiFi in your house.  My wife does that with her Motorola phone, she gets a YouTube Video or Netflix thing on her phone, decides she likes it, and then she Mirrors it to the TV set she uses. Works perfectly.  

You will not need any cables and you will not need to use Bluetooth.   Plain old WiFi will be perfect.

We don't own any Apple products, so I don't know about those, but I suspect it would work about the same as it does on an Android phone. Oh, I think Daughter In Laws company gave her an iPad to use for her work, months ago, but that's not available to us.

If she is going to do more than a little typing, my wife hooks her USB Keyboard to a USB Port on the Samsung SMART TV and that makes it a lot easier...

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1