Menu

Homeschooling in Arkansas?

Usually just lurk here, but just wanted to let you know that homeschooling in AR is fairly simple.

Yearly notice of intent to your local school district, kindergarten can be wavered for you technically don't have to start submitting notice of intent until your child is 6 years old and entering 1st grade. As the previous poster stated, yearly testing was done away with a few years ago so no testing unless you want to.

We have a Tim Tebow law that allows homeschoolers to tryout for public school sports teams and participate in public school extracurriculars but you have to attend one class at the school.

Rural areas are heavy on religious homeschool groups but more urban areas, like Little Rock, Hot Springs, Fayetteville and Texarkana have a little more variety.

My son has an IEP through our local school district for speech therapy. If he couldn't get speech though the school district, we would have to drive a 3 hours round trip to visit a private SLP once a week. The school didn't give us any trouble about being homeschoolers needing services though the schools. In fact, even the SLP he sees at the school homeschools her own dd lol!

• Like 1

Besides the ease of it with the state, I would add that in the areas of which I am familiar (NWA and the River Valley), it is friendly toward homeschooling.  Libraries offer classes, museums run things for homeschoolers, some private schools will allow high schoolers to enroll a la carte (science class with a lab, art with all the materials, etc.)  We have enjoyed it.