Menu

Course Descriptions and Bibliography with Shared Textbooks

A couple of my child classes where taught from a holistic perspective (i.e two high school credits: history and geography). The class studied the geography of the places and times in which the historical events took place. The textbook were shared and often there is not a clear line to divide the classes bibliography (as to say this textbook corresponds to history and this to geography). Likewise there is a similar situation with a class that studied works of literature and the history of the times they were written in (the history was pulled from various sources). Very meaty classes intended as one college credit and two high school credits. Any thought on how to handle this situation for course descriptions bibliography?

Thank you.

Edited by flor

A couple of my child classes where taught from a wholistic perspective (i.e two high school credits: history and geography). The class studied the geography of the places and times in which the historical events took place. The textbook were shared and often there is not a clear line to divide the classes bibliography (as to say this textbook corresponds to history and this to geography). Likewise there is a similar situation with a class that studied works of literature and the history of the times they were written in (the history was pulled from various sources). Very meaty classes intended as one college credit and two high school credits. Any thought on how to handle this situation for course descriptions bibliography?

Thank you.

You could have a combined two credit course. One entry on transcript and one course description with booklist. I would be clear in the description that it was an integrated 2 credit course.

Or list it as two courses for a credit each. Two entries on transcript and two course descriptions. In this case I would state in the description that each had been taught combined with the other. If the booklist is short you could list under each course. Or you could list course A then course B then a combined booklist labeled as the booklist for both.

What I think is important is that you give enough info to support both credits. Many history courses include mapping and many geography courses talk about history and culture of the region. How did your student cover two credits worth of material?

• Like 1

I have written a joint course description for such courses and explained that this was an integrated course.

Here is an example :

World Literature: Ancients / Ancient History

1.0 credit English, 1.0 credit History

This is an integrated course combining history and literature of the Ancient world, with a particular focus on Greece and Rome. Major works of literature studied include The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Herodotus Histories, Greek tragedies, Sappho Poetry, Ovid Metamorphoses, Plato Trial and Death of Socrates. The course has a strong composition component; the student wrote essays about literary and historic topics and gave an oral presentation.

Textbook: A Short History of Western Civilizations by John Harrison and Richard Sullivan

The student listened to the following audio lectures by the Teaching Company:

The Iliad (12 lectures), The Odyssey (12 lectures), The Aeneid (12 lectures)

Greek Tragedy (11 selected lectures), Classical Mythology (24 lectures)

Each college level lecture is 30 minutes in length and taught by Prof. Elizabeth Vandiver

• Like 3

Here are the course descriptions I wrote for a similar situation:

World Literature from 1700 to 2000

A study of 18th through 20th century short stories and novels with the intent of familiarizing the student with selected literary works of enduring quality.  This interdisciplinary course (see the associated History course below) allows the student to explore this time period by reading its literature while also studying its historical context.  (Class taken at home in 9th grade.)  Awarded 0.50 credits.

World History from 1700 to 2000
This reading-based course covers world-changing events of the 18th through 20th centuries which have shaped our culture today; it complements the associated Literature course (listed above) by giving the student a context for the literature studied. The course also includes musical recordings, documentaries, and videos of or about the time. Map work and short writing assignments are required. (Class taken at home in 9th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

You'll note that I did not include textbook names or novel titles in my course descriptions. I included separate reading and textbook lists with that information.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2