Menu

Saxon math and problem solving dilemma

blessedmom3

Do you supplement Saxon math with something else, and if so with what? We just transitioned from Singapore 5 to Saxon 87 and I find it strong in practice and computation, but lacking terribly in problem solving/ critical thinking.

Will it get better maybe? We are only in lesson 11 and it's the first time using Saxon.

Another question: so far, my kids think it is very easy, but it takes way too long because there is too much work. It takes them about one hour to read the lesson, do the mental math practice, the lesson practice and the mixed practice. I am looking for encouragement, advice , or maybe switching to something else? I was planning to use Shormann algebra next year, that is the reason we switched to Saxon, thinking that maybe it will be a smooth transition, but the lack of problem solving worries me, and I am not sure how to add anything extra when math takes so long already.

Do you supplement Saxon math with something else, and if so with what? We just transitioned from Singapore 5 to Saxon 87 and I find it strong in practice and computation, but lacking terribly in problem solving/ critical thinking.

Will it get better maybe? We are only in lesson 11 and it's the first time using Saxon.

Another question: so far, my kids think it is very easy, but it takes way too long because there is too much work. It takes them about one hour to read the lesson, do the mental math practice, the lesson practice and the mixed practice. I am looking for encouragement, advice , or maybe switching to something else? I was planning to use Shormann algebra next year, that is the reason we switched to Saxon, thinking that maybe it will be a smooth transition, but the lack of problem solving worries me, and I am not sure how to add anything extra when math takes so long already.

There is no need to supplement Saxon math with anything. Perhaps you haven't been doing it long enough to see how the problem solving/critical thinking works out. And you must be sure to have your child do every.single.problem in every.single.problem set. Those problems are not there to review topics. They are carefully planned to continue developing concepts throughout the whole book, including sometimes doing the same kind of thing in a different way.

I know they must do every problem, and they do it. That's why it takes so long. I skimmed through the book, and I haven't seen any real good word problems to apply what they are learning. I do like the daily problem solving at the beginning of the lesson, but I feel that's more a fun exercise rather than applying the concepts that they are learning. But again, this is my first year with this program and maybe I'm not seeing the big picture...

If you read older threads, this would be a common complaint about Saxon.  I would think about whether it's a good fit for your students and your goals.

One hour per day at the prealgebra level would be completely reasonable, generally speaking, not specific to Saxon.

There are a lot of prealgebra programs out there to choose from.  If you might want to go in the opposite direction, take a look at AoPS Prealgebra.

Obviously you could do an occasional supplement with something like Real World Algebra.

If you want a program that's pretty traditional but that includes more of a word problem focus, Dolciani is excellent. But there are other options.

Saxon is very complete, but every program is going to have different goals and a different focus. If one of your goals is that they be able to focus on application of knowledge, then I would agree that Saxon isn't strong on that point and you may want to change it up.

I know they must do every problem, and they do it. That's why it takes so long. I skimmed through the book, and I haven't seen any real good word problems to apply what they are learning. I do like the daily problem solving at the beginning of the lesson, but I feel that's more a fun exercise rather than applying the concepts that they are learning. But again, this is my first year with this program and maybe I'm not seeing the big picture...

My advice is still to stick with it, and don't water it down by adding in something else. You're only on lesson 11. You're not seeing the big picture. :-)