Menu

Modern American History

When I was in high school, my history teacher started in the 1920's and we spent most of the year on those 75 years. His reasoning was that each year you start with the Revolution and never get to the history most relevant to us. I'd like to do something similar for my son's history year coming up. However, the only thing I've seen that is like this is Sonlight's Core 300. He really would like a textbook or 2, not a ton of books to juggle. Is there anything out there that focuses more on modern history than the whole thing? Even if it was world history, we could work with it. That might even be preferable. What history textbooks are out there? 

There's this one.  Lots of used copies, including state editions (which have the same pages as the regular ones, plus state-specific pages).  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_28?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+americans+reconstruction+to+the+21st+century&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Athe+americans+reconstruction+to+the+21st+century

Edited by klmama

I'm spending all of 8th on the 1950s-present. I'm using a mix of:

- American Odyssey 

- Hakim

- Zinn

- Tons of documentaries and movies

- Crash Course -- videos and their full US history curriculum

- Some Great Courses and stuff from Coursera and EdX

- Stanford read history like a historian

- Prufrock "Exploring America in the ... " decades (they have one for each decade from 1950s-2000s

- Fictional history readings

I spent all summer building this out. We are spending 6 weeks on each decade. Honestly, I've likely created a high-school level course even though we're doing this in 8th. I didn't find anything I liked on its own. 

Edited by deerforest